Electric Brakes on a Boat Trailer?

I've had so many issues with surge breaks on my trailer from broken lines to having a brake seize up on the highway and blow a bearing I've been thinking of adding electric drum brakes to my trailer for this season for lower costs and less maintenance. I already have a brake controller built into my truck. I'm just wondering about everybody's opinion on this or if anyone has them on their trailer?
    Last edited by tayzak15; 03-18-2019 at 09:17 AM.

I think it's a bad idea to add electric brakes on a boat trailer. Adding drum brakes would be a step backwards if you already have disc brakes. What surge brakes are on your trailer?

I have UFP hubs/brakes/actuator on my trailer and they are easy to work on.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don't think it will save you anything in either cost or headaches. Drum brakes require regular adjustments and don't brake as well as disk brakes in my experience. Drum brakes aren't problem free.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I've got electric drum brakes in my dual-axle dump trailer. They work OK but fall apart completely every few years up here in the Rust Belt. I would much prefer a caliper solution to that.

5. Member
    I would not do straight electric on a boat trailer. I did have electric over hydraulic disc brakes on my last boat trailer (boat and trailer fully loaded around 9000 lbs) and I loved it. Made trailering 1000% nicer. When the controller was set properly, trailer brakes would stop the truck.

Current boat and trailer is about 4000 lbs fully loaded. Surge brakes have been fine on it and I don’t think the $1200 or more to convert to electric over hydraulic would be worth it. 4K lbs not a huge load to haul.

If I ever go back to a larger boat over 8k loaded I would definitely do hydraulic over electric again.

Theres a good reason boat trailer manufatures quit putting electric drum brakes on boats long ago !
    For a BIG mulit axled trailer-- the electric / hydraulic disc brakes are the way to go, but a little overkill and pricey for a bass boat.