Steve Goncalves

shifter trim up don't work but down does

How do i remove this to check the wires?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Does the switch on the motor work for up and down? Is there a switch at the bow? If so, does that work for up and down?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Steve Goncalves
    I have a switch on the console that works and the switch on the engine works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Does the switch on the motor work for up and down? Is there a switch at the bow? If so, does that work for up and down?
    U.S. Air Force Retired

4. Member
    wiring to handle or switch in handle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I'd test the switch in the handle first if it tests good then look at the wiring from what you have stated at this point.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

If disassembling the handle, the handle should be removed, control box usually has to be loosened from side panel to snake the trim wiring back outside the panel, and unplug the harness to that you can carry the handle away and disassemble to remove switch.

Test switch function with ohm meter.

Is the control handle switch dead in BOTH directions, or just in ONE direction?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Steve Goncalves
    Up is dead. Down works

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

If disassembling the handle, the handle should be removed, control box usually has to be loosened from side panel to snake the trim wiring back outside the panel, and unplug the harness to that you can carry the handle away and disassemble to remove switch.

Test switch function with ohm meter.

Is the control handle switch dead in BOTH directions, or just in ONE direction?
    U.S. Air Force Retired

If the trim works correctly at other locations I would install a blinker handle type switch on the steering helm. Much easier and safer to use than the one on the shifter
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Steve Goncalves
    I have the blinker style installed also. Jus want this one working also

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    If the trim works correctly at other locations I would install a blinker handle type switch on the steering helm. Much easier and safer to use than the one on the shifter
    U.S. Air Force Retired

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the connections for the Blue w/white stripe (or blue) wire coming from the handle. More than likely the handle switch will need to be replaced.

When contacting the Parts Department, a picture of your control handle will be VERY helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Steve Goncalves
    How do i test the switch? All wires are connected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. Air Force Retired

12. Member
    With a DVOM.

13. Steve Goncalves
    3 wires. What does each do? A up and a down and a hot wire? What colors do what?
    U.S. Air Force Retired

I'm assuming but how I would design the system. I would ground the relay with the switch to energize the pump.
    One wire is ground, One wire is to the lower relay and One wire is to the raise relay.
    You said the switch would raise but not lower if I remember right. And everything works just not from one switch.
    Probably going to find a faulty switch. But do test it.
    FYI: Should be a self cleaning contact switch. Sometimes just operating it back and forth an bunch with clean the contacts to the point it will start working.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

15. Steve Goncalves
    I jumped the wires and it works in both directions. Ordered a new switch today
    U.S. Air Force Retired