help from the pros...2000 225 ox66 idle issue

so i just picked up a 2000 zx210 with 2000 225 ox 66..boat as only been used 3-4 times in the last year... power head and lower unit rebuild in 2017.. I ran it on the hose today and it was idling about 2k.. i let it run for about 15 minutes seeing if it just needed warmed up... the man said he has only ran ethanol free fuel in it.. he bought the boat new..... i filled up both tanks, added some marine staabil and gave it another shot, same thing.. i was thought about but was hesitant to take it to the lake and blow the cob webs out, so to speak, but fearing there could be an issue i have decided to ask the pros here, and check the basics... i will check 02 sensor, poppet valves whatever filters it may have... just for more info, while it was idlling about 2k, it would occasionally lower to 1200-1300, but then surge back up.. any suggestions? maybe just needs to be ran.. but dont want to cause any permanent damage

2. Member
    Double dose it with ring-free until it settles down mine was like that with only 50 hrs on it. But yes check out the 02 sensor might be dirty now!

3. Member
    Does it actually sound like it’s revving to 2000rpm? What temp was it outside? Mine will always idle high in the cold until
    it gets up to temp.
    It will always run a little high out of water but 2000rpm would be a little too high. Mine will idle in the 1200-1400 rpm range on hose. Since you said the Rpms changed some, did the engine sound change also, or just the rpm on tach? The tach could be off from lack of use and only showing high. Try bumping the tach face and see if it jumps or move the back pole selector switch around a few clicksand then back to original position to clean the contacts.
    I would put probably it on the water and see how it idles. My just need the idle screw set down slightly. Should be around 750 in gear.

4. Member
    fixed it... well, not really.. it just started acting right... but I am going to do some preventative maintanence work.. thank you for the help