Where to get 250XB rebuild?

Well I lost compression in a cylinder today on the water. Just wondering where would be a good place to send it off and have it rebuilt? I am willing to ship anywhere just want it done right so I can get a reliable motor back.

2. Member
    I would call Don.......

I don't know anything about them but
    Blackbird Motors has them.
    Last edited by Rick H; 03-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Banned
    Look into purchasing a new short block.

5. Member
    Thats not Black Bird Inc ...with a different name. They pics look like there old shop? May be wrong

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Thats not Black Bird Inc ...with a different name. They pics look like there old shop? May be wrong
    That's who it was. DO NOT go that route. Contact a BBC Sponsor, or a local shop that you trust and can use in the future.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Give us a call,we can help you with your 250xb. We would want the complete powerhead shipped so we can go through everything on it. Remember that most likely something on the outside hurt the inside and if you dont find what that was it will happen again. We do everything in house to complete a remanufactured drop on powerhead ready to use. Fuel system,cooling system and electrics get serviced or replaced and installed back onto the powerhead. Then powerhead goes in the test tank for two hrs of break-in then goes onto our test boat to be run on the water to insure that everything is correct before it ships back home. We do the complete job so we can warranty it and have no question who did what.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    By the way our rebuilds have all cylinders bored new pistons,bearings,gaskets,seals,and all small parts. This is a completely remanufactured powerhead not a repaired one. Pls feel free to call and talk about it.
    Chris,
    305 394 3354

9. Member
    PM me round about price on a complete rebuild, curious, Mine is a 300xs 1e003823. Not a hurt engine, just freshen,
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I don't know anything about them but
    Blackbird Motors has them.
    Run Forest Run.

I'm betting those aren't built on 250XB blocks.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. hawk3034
    Paul Nichols did mine, Nichols Outboard Engineering, 423-451-0125

12. Member
    Black Bird, Run away quickly...do not send your motor there

13. Kllr bee
    You can not bore a 250XB. It has to have a new sleeve. There is not an over size piston for that motor. Don't let someone say they can bore it to fix it.
    Richard

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    You can not bore a 250XB. It has to have a new sleeve. There is not an over size piston for that motor. Don't let someone say they can bore it to fix it.
    Richard
    Richard,before you kill a customers hopes or attempt to disparage a rebuilder you should be sure of the facts before making such a statement...
    We have bored many 250xb blocks.My availability for pistons is:Pro Marine has std,and oversizes in 015,020,030,and 040.Weisco has std,020,030,and 040.WSM has std,010,015,020,030,and 040.
    This is a steel bore motor,very borable,with oversize pistons in a wide selection...010,015,020,030,and 040...Chris

Now Yea Know!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Richard was referring to OEM/Mercury Components, and in that respect, he is correct. Mercury does not offer an oversize piston for the 250XB in their Parts Catalog.

Chris (Carson) listed a number of aftermarket Piston options, and there are a number of aftermarket options available if that's the route you choose.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Now we know even more!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"