Thread: 93sv plus fuse

93sv plus fuse

Noticed the yellow fuse housing is at the end of the power wire. I will need to extend the power wire from the front to the back of the boat to connect to the battery. I have always used an inline fuse next to the battery connection. Is an in-line fuse needed next to the battery if there is already one up front?

2. Member
    Double “insurance” is good IMHO.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Double “insurance” is good IMHO.
    There is absolutely no reason to have two fuses on a single run. The lower rated fuse will always blow first and this does not add any insurance or safety. Either cut out the one that came with the unit (save for later) and use a new one at your fuse panel or battery, or just wire the fuse that came with the unit straight to the battery.
    I have a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    Noticed the yellow fuse housing is at the end of the power wire. I will need to extend the power wire from the front to the back of the boat to connect to the battery. I have always used an inline fuse next to the battery connection. Is an in-line fuse needed next to the battery if there is already one up front?
    Because the line could be damaged then you need one at the battery also.
    Last edited by GPtimes2; 03-18-2019 at 04:35 AM.

I called Garmin and they said that no extra fuses are needed and 18 gauge wire is fine. I think I will use a 12 gauge wire due to the length and also include an in-line fuse at the battery as it does not hurt anything. Question, the in-line fuse that came with the unit is a 3 amp fuse, should I continue to use it 3 amp fuse at the battery or something a little larger?

I called Garmin and they said that no extra fuses are needed and 18 gauge wire is fine. I think I will use a 12 gauge wire due to the length and also include an in-line fuse at the battery as it does not hurt anything. Question, the in-line fuse that came with the unit is a 3 amp fuse, should I continue to use it 3 amp fuse at the battery or something a little larger?
    I would use an inline with 12 gauge wire and a fuse to match. That way your fuse doesn't cause a voltage drop (the whole reason for going 12 gauge?). Google DC voltage drop distances. I am running #8, 23' after research, for my setup.

7. Member
    Always put one close to the battery terminal, where you can use a higher Amp fuse!

As GPtimes2 said, what if your wire grounded? It could burn your boat!

The fuse with Garmin is only to protect the Garmin unit, not the upstream wires (starting from battery).
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 03-18-2019 at 11:39 AM.

What size higher amp fuse do you recommend to put near the battery?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Always put one close to the battery terminal, where you can use a higher Amp fuse!

As GPtimes2 said, what if your wire grounded? It could burn your boat!

The fuse with Garmin is only to protect the Garmin unit, not the upstream wires (starting from battery).

No need to use a higher amp, unless you are only trying to protect against a short to hull ground. Ideally you should use a maxi fuse to a fuse panel, then use individual fuses for each device from there, no matter where it is located. Yes, a fuse on positive as close to the batter is good if you have multiple leads from a battery. Ideally you only have one wire actually hooked to the battery though. Happy to explain further if you need a drawing.
    I have a boat.

What size higher amp fuse do you recommend to put near the battery?
    I would use a 20 amp with 12 gauge out to 20', so you don't have a voltage drop due to small fuse size. This will blow if you have a short in the wiring (the 3amp at the unit will protect that).

Perfect, thanks.