Ranger RT188C with an Ultrex Trolling Motor Question

My boat is a 2017 Ranger RT188C. It is the lightweight aluminum crappie version that floats high with all the foam Ranger puts in it. It gets blown around a lot with the wind. Makes it hard for my Ultrex trolling motor to hold the spot lock very close. I think it wonders around more than my friends boat with spot lock but his is a heavier fiberglass boat. Anyone on here with a RT188C or RT188 with a Ultrex trolling motor mounted on it? What boat scale do you have your Ultrex set at to help the spot lock feature? Or is there any other tips you have on keeping your boat from blowing around so much when trying to fish brushpiles? I struggle with mine. It seems to set up high and catch the wind a lot. I thought about trying to add more weight somehow but the foam takes up all the space.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Seems like mine is minus11? My compass is off the side of the drivers console. Ive used it a few times, so far its held its spot extremely well.

3. Member
    When I lock, I set the TM deeper. Mine is set to minus 2. Mine has held for 2 hours in steady 15-18 with current. One thing I learned quickly was to be sure that the boat was still before hitting lock.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    When I lock, I set the TM deeper. Mine is set to minus 2. Mine has held for 2 hours in steady 15-18 with current. One thing I learned quickly was to be sure that the boat was still before hitting lock.
    Mine is set on minus 2 (-2) as well... No issues with it wandering or adjusting too much or too little.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I am bad about hitting the spot lock when I see a brushpile and the boat is probably still moving some. I will try that tip of having the boat still and then hitting spot lock. Makes sense. Thanks

I also have my boat scale at -2