TJNYSNP

Self-retracting rod straps

Has anyone installed the self-retracting spring loaded rod straps on their older champion boat ?

Wondering if anyone has done it and the part/make they used that worked well and how it went cutting into the top cap

2. Member
    My 2007 came with thin did not like them did not hold rod tight

3. Member
    I have a hard time persuading myself to cut a hole in the side of my top cap...lol
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

4. Member
    did it on 2 boats. easy job with a roto zip tool. like them much better than the ones that stick up so you can trip on them.

I put mine in floor 10 years ago and zero issues.. I couldn't cut in the side either..

6. Member
    Put them in my 1997 Champion 191. I used Boat Buckles with the concealed mounting kit. They fit great and you have to drill a much smaller hole with the add-on kit.

I just used a 1" paddle drill bit and drilled 4 holes in a line over the template, just watch out for the wires and pvc tube that runs through there.

You can feel it if you reach your hand inside the rod locker, you can pry it loose and move it if need be, but its much easier to just miss it and move the wires out of the way if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    I put mine in floor 10 years ago and zero issues.. I couldn't cut in the side either..
    I did this too to my 196 when I bought it. Zero issues. Holds the rods MUCH better than having it in the gunwhale.

8. Pat Goff
    HATE them.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Scraps
    Not a Champion but did it on a Ranger. The one that gets recessed in the gunnel. It was easy, but taxing cutting a hole in the fiberglass. I had nightmares of poking a hole through the outside of the hull. I forget the brand, maybe RodBuckle?

I have them now on a newer/biggeer boat. Never have had issues. But now what I may do is put another cord up by the reels to keep the rods from sliding down the deck while running around.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Thank Pat

11. Member
    Mine had them already. But I wouldn't have a problem cutting. Here's the key: It's just a boat. I drilled holes for lights, drilled a big hole for the graph cables. The previous owner also cut a big hole for the trolling motor pedal footwell. It's still just. A. Boat. Measure twice, cut once.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

12. Member
    My 193 came with front straps. I like to put my tips up front and reels in the back, so I added one strap on each side closer to the console and installed the hook catch in/on the hatch cover. Now my rods are held down in two places. Just be careful cutting the holes in the sides. It is not an easy fit for jig saws