SHO Rebuilt heads

I’m looking at buying a boat and I’ve found a few that I like. They’re 2010-2014 Skeeters FX models with 250 SHO on them. I’ve noticed they almost all have rebuilt or remanufactutered heads on them. Is this a common problem with the motor? Was it user era? Was it an issue that has been fixed with the rebuilds? I’m not familiar with the SHO. I was running a VMAX 225 OX66. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I don’t believe they are rebuilt heads. The powerhead May have been replaced after a failure but I don’t think anyone is rebuilding powerheads on the sho’s.

3. Member
    To be honest a lot of the issues was user error the best thing to do especially with a new motor is make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. Needs to be between the 2 marks anymore pull some out then keep an eye on it also until the rings get seated and it stops making oil. Personally the biggest problem with them was people not doing this and if you smell gas in the oil change it diluted oil with fuel is not going to have a good outcome if you ignore it or try to be a cheap ass cause you still got 50 hours left before the oil needs to be changed.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

4. Member
    A lot in those year ranges were replaced by yamaha as a "recall". There was some issue, I cant remember, and they sent out letters to all the effected owners to get the power head replaced as a warranty item

5. Member
    Yamaha only sells a long block to replace power head. I don't believe anyone can rebuild the power head due to the Plasma cylinders (at least at this point). Yamaha had a "recall" even though officially they never called it that and replaced power heads on thousands of outboards. The issue was in the crank thrust bearings. I believe they where using a 2 bearing system and went to a 4 bearing system. Also there have been thermostat updates and a couple other tweaks. Most everyone with the new updated power head has had no issue with them after replacement to my knowledge. FWIW I am having my 2014 power head replaced under warranty by Yamaha with only 200 hours on the power head. It was leaking crankcase oil from something that happened internally the dealer said? Not sure what happened and I may never know but I am glad Yamaha is making it right!

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    A lot in those year ranges were replaced by yamaha as a "recall". There was some issue, I cant remember, and they sent out letters to all the effected owners to get the power head replaced as a warranty item
    This - my motor was one that Yamaha replaced the block on free of charge and even provided an additional year of warranty (and it had been out of warranty). I believe they went from 2 to 4 bearings on the crankshaft in addition to other minor tweaks. I never had a problem whatsoever before the replacement or after. My buddy boat that boat from me and it is still running great. I would have no reservations about buying one with a replaced block. I also agree with the above that with any four stroke you need to watch the oil level - if it starts to rise after lots of idling time then I just change the oil. I've been running an SHO since 2011 and just change it halfway though the season no matter what.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100