Thread: Frog Colors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Frog Colors

Hey everyone!

Down here in Florida it’s becoming Frog time! The problem is that I’m having an issue with colors...need some input.

I fish the Terminator and LunkerHunt frogs...they’re decently priced and hold up well

For years I always used some type of green/yellow combo. Just made sense since most of our fronts are bright green.

Last year I went to plain white and did really well, no matter if it was a frog, popping frog, or poppin perch.

Last week I did really well on a black LunkerHunt frog when the bass wouldn’t touch anything else!

So here’s the question, how do you guys pick your frog color? I’m not finding any rhyme or reason to it? With most of my soft plastics I can apply some type of “fishing logic” based on water clarity, time of year, water temp, forage; but with frogs in pads/grass I don’t have a way of picking what color frog to throw.

Any help is appreciayed, Chris.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Just go with black unless fish are on shad, then go white.

I'm with bgibson. I just always throw black. If they won't bite that, try white. If they won't bite that, fish something else.

The days I've caught them on one color, I've always also caught them on black. There are days where they'll seemingly only hit black. Black seems to be the most consistent, and if you watch pros throwing them you'll notice that it's almost always black that they're throwing. In fact, and I'm sure I've missed something, but I honestly can't remember seeing a pro throwing a frog anytime in the last couple years that wasn't black. Maybe Christie when he was throwing the Booyah Toad Runner last year before it was announced and he was trying to hide it? It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that was black too. Why it is I can't really say. My working theory is that black makes the most obvious silhouette that they can see and hone in on to eat it. Maybe other colors are more effective in more open water...I'm not usually fishing a frog there, even though I know it can work at times.

To me, 99% of the time when a fish hits a frog it's not really thinking "that's a frog." Taking it a step further, how often to frogs go swimming across the water during the daylight anyhow? Not anywhere that I've fished, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot either. I've definitely never seen a frog zig-zag across the water when I've seen them, yet we all walk the hell out of the frogs when we fish them. I feel like it's just triggering a reaction from the fish more than likely, though I suppose you could argue that it's mimicking some injured baitfish or something.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    White or black for me. I throw white 75% of the time and black 25%. Only two colors I own.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

5. Member
    I throw a pad crashed white with black spots 90 % of the time.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I’ve always tried to mimic the frogs in my area, we do have a lot! When I started using white, that was it, I went all white all the time. But then I got a black one a couple weeks ago and they’re just destroying it! Guess I’ll stock up on black now!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    I'll make sure I bring some black ones with me next week.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

8. Member
    Try the Booyah Aqua frog
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

As noted above, black or white. I don't think the bass care if it's a perfect replica of the frogs in the area.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    I fish a hollow bodied frog thinking that the bass sees it as a bluegill more than a frog. IDK, I'm with everyone else. Black or white

11. Banned
    Whilst TackleWhorehouse™ has them 'On the cheap'

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jack...ge-JKKAFG.html

And when/if You ever find YourSelf amongst the Lilypads and want to try a Popping Frog, also on Sale.. The legs are reminiscent of the Bub Tosh frog w/the multi strands..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jack...page-JKGF.html

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Lew to the rescue spending my money as always!

13. Member
    I’ve done well with the glitter bluegill color
    Red Sox in 6!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Lew to the rescue spending my money as always!

But You'll be saving $$$ in 'the long run' and that is what really counts...

15. Member
    Black and white, only use white when i know they're eating bait, or on very cloudy/rainy days.

16. Banned
    Just throw white. Easy to see. If you need black. Sharpie the belly. Bass don't see the fancy colors that catch us

17. Member
    Black--white -- something with a chartreuse belly. Really all you need

18. Member
    Black and brown for me. Most times the frog is not meant to imitate a frog, it’s meant to be a bluegill struggling or even just a reaction strike of something pushing water across the surface in heavy weeds. Some areas up here you have to use the huge king spro frogs cause normal ones don’t cause enough of a disturbance in slop
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    Im not convinced at all that when a bass eats a hollow body frog that they think they are eating a frog. I dnt think know or care what it is. They just eat it. So i usually start with white or black and let the fish tell me what they want if they are short striking one ill switch to the other. Down sizing frogs also works if they're shorting it. Ive also had alot of luck with the Strike King Green Pumpkin Pearl belly.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

20. Member
    I start with black in the mornings and then switch to white later on. I will change to colors if I am flipping frogs into cover and letting them sit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast