Mid West Finesse mold

Poured some jigs with the Mid West finesse jig mold for the first time. Noticed the 1/8 ounce heads move on the hook. Held the hook right at the jig head when breaking off the excess lead. Using a Gami 114 2/0 hook and the wb-400 wire keeper. Has any one else had this issue?

Heat your hooks and inserts, Use harder lead, cut off sprue.

Use super glue at the point of movement, Paint/clearcoat helps as well.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I've had this same problem with the smaller sized jig heads, even had the keeper wire come out. Like 21XDC said, harder lead and cut the sprue. Problem solved.

4. Member
    That is also a pretty large hook for that mold in the smaller sizes. I have used hooks to 1/0 with no problems.

5. Member
    Don't break off the sprue, use a gate shear or diagonal cutter. Harder lead is also a plus, I use 5% antimony in my lead and I haven't had any issue. When I first poured them I used really hard lead and I found that it didn't matter, the heads on most of them would loosen if I broke the sprues off instead of cutting with my gate shears. It is kind of funny because I've been using the heads since the mold came out and I've bounced them over rock and pulled some free from snags and never an issue. If I wiggle the sprue back and forth and try to break it off the head, 3 out of 5 will be loose.

6. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. The 2/0 Gami was for a friend that uses them for smallmouth. I did pour some with a 1/0 Gami 114. Had to put plumbers putty around the eyes to keep lead from filling the hook eye.

7. Member
    Powderpainting them secures it if they are loose.

Allen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass13 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. The 2/0 Gami was for a friend that uses them for smallmouth. I did pour some with a 1/0 Gami 114. Had to put plumbers putty around the eyes to keep lead from filling the hook eye.
    You can cure that flash problem with RTV silicone.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    You can cure that flash problem with RTV silicone.
    Say jigman, what is the process for using the RTV silicone? Ive tried plumbers putty with mixed/poor results. Do you put the silicone in both sides of the mold?

Drill out 1/4-3/8in deep in the mold where the hook eyes fit both sides... Over fill the holes with red rtv silicone and let dry. Use a razor blade to trim off extra flush with the mold surface. Now you can use many hooks w/o flash.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Drill out 1/4-3/8in deep in the mold where the hook eyes fit both sides... Over fill the holes with red rtv silicone and let dry. Use a razor blade to trim off extra flush with the mold surface. Now you can use many hooks w/o flash.
    Yep he is correct. He is the one who gave me the tip. I had drilled mine out and was getting all kinds of flash.

12. Member
    Just so you know, if the hook you want to use fits in the hook eye part of the cavity you don't need to drill. Simply fill the eye with Permatex Red High Temp RTV gasket maker as 21XDC has already outlined and trim with razor after cure. The permatex will compress around the hook eye when you close to mold and keep lead from getting in, but if you need to use a different hook then drill it out just as he described.

13. Member
    Use two pairs of pliars. One to grab the lead to remove from the mold and hold just the lead when you break off the slag
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle