Leaking internal oil tank on 2018 Optimax 250 Pro XS

Motor has only 37 hours on it. I noticed an oil slick behind the boat when I put it on the trailer.

Pulled the cowling and noticed that the the screw in plug on top of the internal plastic oil tank had backed out. The plug does not appeared to be stripped. There were no oil alarms.

Do I just screw the plug back in and go on? How tight should it be? Will the tank refill on its own?

Is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

2. Member
    Mine did the same thing. You want to fill the tank up as far as you can. Just finger tight on the plug, enuff to seat the oring. Remember it’s plastic.

3. Member
    If the threads are stripped, then you will need a new tank.

4. Member
    Should be under warranty, need serial number to confirm, if so get it to your dealer for documentation and replacement.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    The tanks and caps are covered under initial warranty, but they are not covered under platinum warranty. So get it done ASAP son mercury pays the bill. I’m one month out of factory warranty with 40hrs. Mercury says i have to pay. Funny thing is , my dad’s motors had a tiny fleck of paint missing from the lower unit. They replaced both no questions asked. You would think as important as the oiling system is on these motors, it would be covered. This will be the last time i purchase the platinum warranty.