Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Anyone with a broken Minn Kota battery charger? Can I buy your battery leads?

Hello,

I have a Minn Kota 330D 3-bank battery charger that has a rusted out NTC thermistor. An NTC thermistor is a temp sensor that's soldered between the green and white wires and it's located inside the little rubber box on the cord where the white and black wires exit the black cord. Unfortunately, the extension cable MK sells will not work.

If you have an old / broken MK battery charger, I'd be willing to buy the cable(s) from you so I can repair mine. Send me a PM or email and we'll discuss.

Thanks for your time! Jayson

2. Banned
    Someone on here has some for sale. Check the classifieds.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Someone on here has some for sale. Check the classifieds.
    Thanks for the lead! I looked and didn’t see anything. Do you remember where you saw it.

4. Banned
    I looked again and couldnt find it. It might have been deleted cause he didnt have e mail addy. or something. Might check with a moderator. I know I seen it.

5. Member
    Still looking if anyone has one or more. Willing to pay a reasonable price plus shipping.

6. Member
    Was looking in the manual and it is identified as an output cord. Have you called to see if you could get one at either Minn Kota's part department or maybe you could get one from a repair center? Bob
    There is one in Richmond and Hopewell(dumpster dive?)

I think I have some leads lying around. Not sure if they are MK but will check.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Was looking in the manual and it is identified as an output cord. Have you called to see if you could get one at either Minn Kota's part department or maybe you could get one from a repair center? Bob
    Thanks, Bob. I didn't bother calling MK. I found another guy looking for the same cords a few years ago and MK said they don't sell them as they are a non-serviceable part. I didn't know about the repair center and will look into that.

I've also sourced what I believe is the correct part to repair my cord. Hoping if I cast a wide net, something will work :)

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I think I have some leads lying around. Not sure if they are MK but will check.
    LMK, Thanks!

Found the ones I had. They are from a 4 bank Dual Pro. Don't know how that would work for you.IMG_8360.jpgIMG_8361.jpgIMG_8362.jpg

11. Member
    Found the ones I had. They are from a 4 bank Dual Pro. Don't know how that would work for you.
    Hard to know for sure without trying them. Do they have three leads on the charger side? The MK cord has a white, black, and green wire coming from the charger.

12. Member
    Repair centers were a no-go. The one in Chester told me they were required to send them back to MK for service/replacement so they don't have any old ones lying around.

These are just the leads from the charger to the batteries. Just red & black leads. Don't have the 120V lead for the plug in, if that's what you mean.

14. Banned
    Whats so special about them.? Get some wire and make em.

15. Member
    These are just the leads from the charger to the batteries. Just red & black leads. Don't have the 120V lead for the plug in, if that's what you mean.
    No, I need the leads from the charger to the battery, but want to know how many wires there are on the end that connects to the charger. My MK charger has three wires that run from the charger to the little distribution block at the battery. The green wire terminates there and is used for the temp sensor.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Whats so special about them.? Get some wire and make em.
    See my first post. The charger will not work without a reading from the temp sensor in the wiring harness. One of my temp sensors rusted and will not make contact. I'm getting an "check connection" error on that bank. Thus, need a new wire or the correct temp sensor to repair.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PamunkeyHub View Post
    Repair centers were a no-go. The one in Chester told me they were required to send them back to MK for service/replacement so they don't have any old ones lying around.
    They were different level repair, one was listed differently. One was a dealer and the other was authorized service for Minn Kota but the charger are apparently handled differently as they are not repairable. I would have thought they would test them and if they need replacement they would not ship them back just get a new one sent to them. but who knows? I do have a question about the temp sensor. You are saying it is an automatic restoring heat activated breaker? Bob

18. Member
    Just found a thread that addresses your problem(of course this is the internet) https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...-question.html

19. Member
    They were different level repair, one was listed differently. One was a dealer and the other was authorized service for Minn Kota but the charger are apparently handled differently as they are not repairable. I would have thought they would test them and if they need replacement they would not ship them back just get a new one sent to them. but who knows? I do have a question about the temp sensor. You are saying it is an automatic restoring heat activated breaker? Bob
    Yeah, I was told they do no work on the units in house and send them all back to MK. The temp sensor isn’t a breaker, but it has a similar function. It seems to allow the controller to monitor the temp at the battery and I assume it’s programmed to stop charging at a certain threshold.

I’d read the instructions for the extension harness and assumed it wouldn’t fix my problem, but apparently it might. If the extension harness only had two leads, the temp sensor in the extension harness reads differently than the original one. It’s soldered between the green and white wires in that little distribution block.

I’ve ordered what I believe will be a suitable replacement sensor. I’ll report back when I receive and test them. Should be mid/late week.

That said, if anyone reading this has a suitable set of cables, I’d still like to pick them up from you as a backup if all else fails.

20. Member
    Following. I just had a bank go out on a 330D. Stays solid yellow for several hours then flips to flashing red and green. Does the same thing no matter what battery it’s on.
    Would love to see a breakdown of the charger and your fix for yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast