Abu Garcia spinning reels

Anybody here that owns a revo spinning reel ever have any issues with the anti reverse not working? I have 3 revo rockets that i bought in november that are all doing it. I also have a newer style sx reel that does the same thing. The anti reverse is definitely on and the handles are tight. Ive read that its caused by the manufacturer greasing the IAR bearing. 4 new reels and all of them are doing it. Ive heard the issue is compounded by cold weather but i dont trust it at all now. Thanks for any help.

Ben

2. Banned
    Had four and they all did it. SX and MGX. Sent two back for repairs and one started again. Got rid of them

3. Member
    I had four new ones that did the same thing. They were Revo Premiers. When you set the hook on a fish the anti reverse clutch would not work. Call Abu and they repaired them free of charge. Make sure you talk to service department. First guy I talked to didn't want to repair them.

Good luck!

4. Member
    It’s a common issue for Abu spinners. Had 2 of the gen1 premiers and both did it, most the time they will just replace the reel instead of repair but maybe that has changed since I had mine. I got rid of them after that. Too many good options out there for less money quite frankly. Shimano and Daiwa both are hard to beat...but the spinning reels Daiwa has been putting out lately are just so smooth and light for under $200. I liked Abu spinners but it’s just not worth the hassle of dealing with such a critical part going out and most the time you realize it on a hookset.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vrandall View Post
    It’s a common issue for Abu spinners. Had 2 of the gen1 premiers and both did it, most the time they will just replace the reel instead of repair but maybe that has changed since I had mine. I got rid of them after that. Too many good options out there for less money quite frankly. Shimano and Daiwa both are hard to beat...but the spinning reels Daiwa has been putting out lately are just so smooth and light for under $200. I liked Abu spinners but it’s just not worth the hassle of dealing with such a critical part going out and most the time you realize it on a hookset.
    Nailed it!

6. Member
    Wow, I have 2 Revo S spinning reels and they work great. Have not had this issue.

What Gen is everyone having this issues? I have the Gen 2 (latest still I believe).

7. Member
    The very few spinners I use have triggers as such they don't have IAR, however I have encountered this on a casting reel a time or two. Being your reels are relatively new it sounds like its probably caused by the higher resistance of grease in the 1 way bearing, and can be compounded by colder temps. The remedy is easy enough if you can get the bearing out.

I like to clean bearings by putting them in a shot glass or other small glass container with some paint thinner / mineral spirits / or similar, place the shot glass into an ultrasonic cleaner and then fill the ultrasonic with just enough boiling water to be at the same level as the solvent in the shot glass. Once clean I blow them dry with compressed air, apply a drop or two of spool bearing oil, and re assemble.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 03-20-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

8. Member
    Holy cow I had just posted this about mine...brand new out of the box as was a gift I received a few months ago. Took it out for first time yesterday and was doing it. Video below.

My main concern is if I sent the reel back to abu will they make a permanent repair to the issue causing this? I've had a few others do same thing and had just exchanged it where I bought it. When it happened again yesterday I knew it has to be a known issue and just not a "bad" batch or whatever.

9. Member
    I would just try to exchange it for a Daiwa or Shimano product but that's just me.

10. Member
    Sent in my reel to Abu Garcia...the tech emailed me saying the replaced the bearing with a new one...said it will be a permanent fix...Will report back on how it works.