Minn Kota Ultrex performance in heavy vegetation

Looking at switching out the old Fortrex for an Ultrex but would like to hear from anyone on the performance of the Ultrex in our heavy Florida Vegetation.

Thanks

2. Member
    I would assume the only differnce is in the head. Put a grass goat on it and let it eat.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

3. Member
    It works just as well as the Foretrex it replaced BUT the steering servos give no feedback so it's easy to get grass so wrapped around the head it would bog down the Fortrex but you hardly notice it on the Ultrex and I'm afraid it would be easy to overheat the servos and burn them up. I've had mine a little over a year now and love it. I think it helps catch more fish and I know it helps with boat control and frustration.

Nothing like getting upwind of the spot,hit spot lock then fish as long as you want without worrying about the boat. I got the Ipilot link but to be honest I never use it.

I replaced a Fortrex with an Ultrex and have had no issues, worked GREAT on the Hydrilla Mats on "The Chain" last summer/fall. I love mine great investment.

Spanky

5. Banned
    I bring my 112 ultrex in heavy matted hydrilla and it cuts right in it. Turn is we’re the issue is a little but you are in a mat field. I honestly can’t complain. It’s awesome

6. Member
    What are you all using for a weed cutter? Ninja blade, etc...?

7. Member
    I do not own one and have a Fortrex but have fished on the big O, Kiss, etc.. with folks that have. IMO if you are a true shallow water fisherman nothing beats the Fortrex. The Fortrex has the least amount of problems of any TM. I fish the St. Johns river, current, offshore, etc... but for me the pay off in the shallows keeps me with Fortrex. Unless someone is a pure offshore, waypoint-way-point fisherman, I like the reliability of the Fortrex.

8. Banned
    <--- 112 Forty on a 18' Ranger and dual NinjaGrassBlades™ slices and dices in the thickest, gnarliest shit ...

I also don't even NEED a tm stabilizer like I needed w/a MotorGuide™..

*I do have a TrollPerfect™; that end piece for MG™ (red); and a few MG trolling props, 1 is aluminum.. If You have a MG™ and need/want these send Me a PM

The Ultrex pedal turns in the heavy weeds where the Fortrex won't. I have used it for 3 winters in the heavy Florida vegetation and it is great.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Looking at switching out the old Fortrex for an Ultrex but would like to hear from anyone on the performance of the Ultrex in our heavy Florida Vegetation.

Thanks
    I had a 80 pound Maxuum on my boat. About October I swapped it for a 80 pound Ultrex, and it has been great. I fish in Florida in the winter and used it a lot this year. Only one time all year did I have to pull the motor up and clean it manually. I don't know the name of the weed it got tangled in but it looked like gobs of string around the prop. Only once in many many hours in several different lakes with lots of weeds.

One of the things I really liked was if the wind was blowing ..... Before Ultrex if I caught a fish - by the time I landed it and unhooked it and re-rigged, I might be 100 yards down from my spot or blown over in the pads...... With Ultrex, I could hit spot lock and do all this and still be where I wanted. I also used the cruise control a lot. It worked great in the weeds and is one of the best things I ever bought for a boat as an upgrade - probably THE best.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

11. Member
    Can you pull the Ultrex motor head out of the water to clear the weeds from the shaft, or does the motor cut off?

12. GTB
    Where are you fishing that has all this vegetation still ? I want to go !

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB View Post
    Where are you fishing that has all this vegetation still ? I want to go !
    No kidding... But PLEASE DO NOT REPLY... The spray boats are primed and are waiting for your response.
    Brad Krone

14. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I was thinkin about going back to a 12v 20lb t-motor for my Fl. "vegetation" fishing.. Do they make one in 10lb thrust?

Can you pull the Ultrex motor head out of the water to clear the weeds from the shaft, or does the motor cut off?
    I was in thick stuff quite a bit and the motor never cut off. Even when all the string weed was wrapped around it, it didn't cut off. I knew there was a problem when the boat slowed down so much. I lifted it and cleaned it off. Redeployed it and went on my way. It also has the stock prop. I had the same MinnKota prop on my Maxuum 80 and it always did great in the grass and hydrilla. Sometimes eel grass would wrap the Maxuum prop up but not often. It's a pretty good weed prop.

I kept my Maxuum and hauled it all the way to Florida and back just in case I had trouble with the Ultrex. That was a waste of effort. The Ultrex never had a problem. I am still going to keep the Maxuum in storage though. Not worth much used now anyways.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

16. Member
    The motor has a safety feature that cuts the motor off as it is put in a stowed position so, yes it shuts off when it is pulled up to clear weeds off the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Champriders View Post
    The motor has a safety feature that cuts the motor off as it is put in a stowed position so, yes it shuts off when it is pulled up to clear weeds off the shaft.
    Again, I have used my Ultrex a lot in Florida and I pull the head out of the water to clean weeds and mine does not shut off. Love it!
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

18. Member
    Weeds are the reason to have an Ultrex in Florida. Power steering is amazing. You can raise the motor to clear though r as rarely needed. After using one I would have to have even if it didn't have spot lock