Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fla Punching reels ?

Now I know having been to The Big O and Lake Kissimmee this season that you guys have a very sever lack of grass this year for multiple reasons but I still wanted to ask you guys who fish the toughest mat's on earth in your state ( Nothing else is nearly as tough as your mat's in my opinion) what the current trend is in punching reels ?

Several years ago the belief was that gear ratio's exceeding a 7 something were not powerful enough to use in thick mats. Some guys still used the real slow gear ratio's of 6.2 or less but I think the rod handles most of the power when a fish is hooked. Nobody gets a big fish in a thick mat and just using the reel like a winch pulls them through.

So over the past few years, the trend to use ultra high speed reels to increase efficiency ( number of pitches in a set time, IE more drops) has come into vogue. I understand and can see also that ultra fast gear ratio's take the bait out of the mat faster with less hit's on top of the mat on the way back on another pitch and that I can see can give more stealth. But recently, I'm hearing from several top guys who went to the ultra high speed reels that they are now going back to something in the 7's for a gear ratio.

I'm friends with three guys who all fish the Costa series or the FLW Tour and are considered hammers and have won at the highest levels and they for the most part are all using the ultra high speed stuff but several of their peers are back to the 7 something reels. I spoke to a guy in the Cal Delta area on Friday and he insisted the high speed reels were a mistake in mat punching. As I said, you Florida guys have the toughest mat's on earth so what works in your stuff is the standard to look to in my opinion.

With that said, I personally believe that mat rods should be powerful but parabolic, not extra fast tipped pool cues and flipping hooks should be strong but not as thick as a rail road spike, not more than 1.62 mm to 1.74 mm max for wire diameter.

So what's you guys thoughts here?

Thanks

2. Member
    Line ,weights and rod

3. Member
    I buy stuff and enjoy researching gear etc... But IMO it's all a bunch of BS. Reel speed for true flipping is irelavant from my standpoint. In a lot of cases you might turn the reel a few times before the fish is pegged to mat or comes through. It's all in the stick. Depending on weight: MH/H/XH. For me I like my tip fast. As long as your reel can handle heavy braid that is all that matters. When I am truly flipping I will place a piece of tape 10-15 feet down line on spool. Propper hook, proper hook set. I fish misty Chronarch MGLs. I'd focus on rod more than reel.

4. Member
    Everyone has their own preference for mat flipping rods/reels. I’ve had everything from an Aurrus 7-6 XXH(broomstick)rod with a 6:3:1, Fitzgerald rods, Kiskler rods, dobyns,etc. Most flippers(what people are now calling punching) we typically have 2 or 3 rods setup for it at all times. Currently I have a Powell 765 with a 7:1 reel and a Powell 795 with an 8:1 reel. I personally don’t see a major benefit or difference in catch ratio from the 3 different reel speeds. The only benefit of the higher speed is you can catch up to the bait before it hits the top of the boat! For the 1.5 oz weights and higher the 6:3 will be easier on your wrist throughout the day. Again, just my preferences.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    I buy stuff and enjoy researching gear etc... But IMO it's all a bunch of BS. Reel speed for true flipping is irelavant from my standpoint. In a lot of cases you might turn the reel a few times before the fish is pegged to mat or comes through. It's all in the stick. Depending on weight: MH/H/XH. For me I like my tip fast. As long as your reel can handle heavy braid that is all that matters. When I am truly flipping I will place a piece of tape 10-15 feet down line on spool. Propper hook, proper hook set. I fish misty Chronarch MGLs. I'd focus on rod more than reel.
    agreed^

Quote Originally Posted by hermanp View Post
    Line ,weights and rod
    Are you trying to say, "reels" and their gear ratio are not much of the equation? I fully believe the rod is the most important factor. Care to share your thoughts on "line" and "weights" ? You can throw in your thoughts on hooks too if you like.

7. Member
    I have been pitching and flipping in Florida since 1977. A balanced outfit is most important for pitching and flipping. It helps with sensitivity and efficiency, and reduces fatigue. I use the Dobyn's Championship Extreme 795 and 805 for weights up to 1.5 oz.. They are not the stiffest but have more than enough power. They also are very balanced and not tip heavy

For pitching, I will not use a reel with less than a 7:1 gear ratio for pitching as it is powerful enough but also efficient in making more presentations. I am currently use an 8.5:1 retrieve 6.5 oz. reel now and do not feel any real loss of power.

For "true flipping", reel retrieve speed does not matter

8. Member
    If I am pitching and not flipping I use Mustad KVD pin grip 2 x. Creature baits, brush hog styles, etc... If I am really light pitching I will use just Pin grip. If I am pitching tubes I will use trokar tube hook. Now if I am truly flipping, and I mean truly flipping -- I will use a snell know on a straight shank hook. Meaning, up and down kind of flipping with a 1 Oz and above. If I am flipping where I am pitching up then snapping bait down to get through the lettuce I will use the pin grip. If I am pitching where the bait is in the water longer, maybe I am dragging it a bit (lilly pads) I want the wide gap hook. Wide gap if bass might go side ways, straight shank if I want them coming straight out of junk.

I am a power pro guy. I have tried many but it is just the line I like. Weights are very simple -- find the brand you like and use the lightest you can get away with. My weights are simple -- black.

I use my old casting reels for flipping reels. When they are beat up from casting then I switch it to my flipping sticks and get a little more out of them. 6:3 to a 7 reel is fast enough. You are only talking about a few feet of line anyways
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

I’ve tried a bunch of flippin sticks,best I’ve used Dobyns extreme HP 805..has a good tip,and I’d say moderate fast blank.The 795 HP is a close 2nd,that I use for under 1 1/2 oz. weights..both paired with Shimano Core MG7’s..Suffix 832..Gammy extra heavycover hook(snelled)High speed reels let you cover a lot more water in a day.

I tend to agree with Orion922, It's all about the Stick, with that being said, I prefer a Fitzgerald Stunner HD to do my Flipping/Punching.

Spanky

OK guy's thank you very much for all the feedback. There are a lot of things I agree with many of you, particularly what Frogchunker and Spanky had to say. I agree that the "rod" is the most important thing in the equation and both your choices are some of the best in my opinion as well.

I was hoping a little more emphasis could be placed on the discussion of why or why not the new super high speed reels work better or not as well in the thick mats. I don't believe in any reel gear ratio's under 7 but can we discuss a little more the new Ultra high 8.5 and above?

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm a real punching nut, ( I am not a traditional flipper at all, so discussing a reel engaged short line flip and reels for that is not what I'm looking at) and I could discuss, hook's, lines, weights, and hook sets for hours but those are other topics LOL.

Thanks to all who are contributing

I havent seen anybody truly “flip”in Fl in probably 5-6 years,I tried a Curado K in 8:5:1,and it worked great for getting the bait back fast for the next pitch..just like the profile of my Core more its 7:2:1 works great also.Years ago people used 5:1-6:3 because the higher speed reels just wouldnt hold up...newer reels over the years have gotten very tough..even the the high speed reels,and being a lot smaller

Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    I havent seen anybody truly “flip”in Fl in probably 5-6 years,I tried a Curado K in 8:5:1,and it worked great for getting the bait back fast for the next pitch..just like the profile of my Core more its 7:2:1 works great also.Years ago people used 5:1-6:3 because the higher speed reels just wouldnt hold up...newer reels over the years have gotten very tough..even the the high speed reels,and being a lot smaller
    I have a Metainium MGL 8.5 and a new Revo Rocket which is 10 and they take the bait out of the mat instantly with out hitting on top of it on the way back in incredibly well but I'm uncertain if they have the power on the first couple of cranks on a big fish as my 100MgFv cores I use?

Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    I have a Metainium MGL 8.5 and a new Revo Rocket which is 10 and they take the bait out of the mat instantly with out hitting on top of it on the way back in incredibly well but I'm uncertain if they have the power on the first couple of cranks on a big fish as my 100MgFv cores I use?
    Have no experience with Revo’s,die hard Shimano guy..and 10:1 no clue how that will hold up

Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    Have no experience with Revo’s,die hard Shimano guy..and 10:1 no clue how that will hold up
    Yeah, Shimano speaks for itself, so your Curado K and my Metainium 8.5 have the same gear ratio's. Aside from the K not fitting your hand well, did you find any loss of power on those first couple of cranks on a big fish in a mat? Again, I'm not talking about trying to winch a fish through a mat, just get them moving in your direction. Those Core MgFv's I have were made specifically for flipping/punching with their brass cut gears etc. It's shame Shimano doesn't make an updated version IMO

Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    Yeah, Shimano speaks for itself, so your Curado K and my Metainium 8.5 have the same gear ratio's. Aside from the K not fitting your hand well, did you find any loss of power on those first couple of cranks on a big fish in a mat? Again, I'm not talking about trying to winch a fish through a mat, just get them moving in your direction. Those Core MgFv's I have were made specifically for flipping/punching with their brass cut gears etc. It's shame Shimano doesn't make an updated version IMO
    Din’t seem to have a problem at all,and my understanding the K has brass gears too..as do the Core MG7’s Im using now

18. Member
    The only argument against high speed that I have heard that makes sense is with super high speed reels, if you "reel down" before a hookset, you could reel too much and let the fish feel the rod.

19. Member
    One thing i like about the faster reels 8:+ is that when you make long pitches with a heavy weight, a faster reel is better capable getting the heavy weight back quickly over the surface of the mat without having to deal with the heavy weight getting caught up in the mat itself. When fishing with two people in the boat and especially if I end up in the back with someone precision pitching all of the juicy looking edges, I will pitch it a yonder ways back there to avoid areas that have been molested by the guy in the front. I got my PB doing that. Balanced Rod is important to me -Zombie or Dobyns. 65#PP, Gamma super hvy cover with super glue on the keeper, and snell knot.

20. Member
    I have gravitated to 13 reels for pitching and punching based on their profile and how it fits my hand. I have had significantly less hand fatigue since switching although the newer Shimanos also seem to do OK for me also (have one on a punch rod). Have used 7:1 for years and have one 8:1 but can't say i tell much of a difference on the short line uses. I agree with several above that the Dobyns are hard to beat i n terms of action and their light weight (which have also made a diff on elbow fatigue). That 805 seems to keep them hooked up under the heavy stuff for me than others i have used. Thinking the more moderate bend keeps me from ripping bigger holes in them. The 795 for 3/8 up to 1 oz is my favorite for all around pitching to reeds/unmatted stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast