Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    I dont have one, and the reason is... its Chinese garbage.
    This Guy Will Know.

LMG goes through reels like I change my underwear, or at least close to it. LOL..JK. But for real he is very knowable on reels and who makes what and what is inside what. If he says it is a good one you can bank on it. If he says it is junk the same.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    This Guy Will Know.

LMG goes through reels like I change my underwear, or at least close to it. LOL..JK. But for real he is very knowable on reels and who makes what and what is inside what. If he says it is a good one you can bank on it. If he says it is junk the same.
    Appreciate the kind words. Lots of money tossed to give knowledge.

3. Member
    Skeet Reese 8' Flippin and Pitchin rod and a 13 fishing concept A 8.1. I've bounced back and forth between the 7 and the 8 and have settle on the 8. Just feel like I can keep it tight on fish with the 8 but the 7 is really just as good. Definitely a difference in feel though. There is a ton of good equipment out there. I use to run exclusively Shimano and G.Loomis gear and there stuff is fantastic don't get me wrong but I'm every bit is happy if not happier with my $200 setup as I was with the $500 and $600 setups. About $400 happier to be exact. I hear people complaining about the Skeet Reese rods but I love them and the price is right. The only ones I've broken were the ones I broke doing something silly. I use power pro braid and I have no complaints with it. I try other stuff from time to time but the PP is pretty well tried and true so I keep going back to it. Pretty much use 65lb for the majority of the work and will go up to 80 from time to time. 50lb scares me a little not from any bad experiences or anything but I just feel like I can't lean into like I do on 65lb no worries. Trokar and mustad straight shank flippin' hooks and various tungsten weights. I'd use all owner but their stuff is a little pricey and mustad makes some great stuff that's a lot easier on the wallet. As light as I can get away with. Palomar knots. I hear all the hype on the snell and I think its trash. Doesn't work for me at all. I don't buy the weight popping the hook into the fish's mouth at all. Doesn't make any sense to me. I've tried it many, many times over the years. I think the snell is a superior way to secure the hook but I think it's terrible for fishing cover. The way the hook pops into a fish's mouth is also the way the hook pops into the cover. Some guys swear by it and more power to them but I've had no luck with it. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

Thanks for contributing. How do you find the "feel" different between the 7 gear ratio and the 8? I find original Power Pro quite stiff and being a 4 carrier braid, it's quite loud. It's also not very thin for it's given strength compared to others. Interesting remark about that you would use Owner if cost wasn't an issue. I assume you mean you would use the Owner Jungle wire flipping hook? In regards to knots, their is a trend to go away from the snell knot, Brandon Paulinuk did a video that many saw about this but it seems but as far as world class punchers, guys that actually have won major events flat out punching mats NOT some variation of flipping other cover, then only Bobby, Chris Lane and Greg Hackney as far as I know do NOT snell. Brandon McMillan, Randall Tharp, Ish Monroe, Glenn Browne, Chad Morganthaler, Scott Martin, JT Kenny ALL snell. This later group of guys that snell have a far better record in the mats.

5. Member
    Ya, I know guys swear by the snell I just don’t think it does what they think it does. Meaning, I think reason they’re successful has zero to do with the snell. Just my opinion. As far as the feel for the reel with the 8 its a little easier to stay with the bait. When you hook up its easier to stay with the fish and pull him out with the rod as opposed to winch him out with the reel. Lots of times the fish will bolt for deep water. Sometimes before you set the hook and sometimes after. Little easier to catch up with them when they do that. Don’t know if that makes any sense but thats why I go with the 8. Like I said I don’t think its that big of a difference than the 7. There’s never been a time when I lost a fish where I was thinking to myself if I was using the 8 I would have landed him and vice verse. As far as owner is concerned I was just speaking generally. I’ve always had great experiences with their hooks. I know we’re having a punch, flip, pitch conversation but I was talking across the board. The power pro is definitely loud. Don’t know what you mean by stiff. I probably need to keep trying some other braids. I hear lots of good things about Gamma.
    Last edited by HANSHIN; 04-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

Quote Originally Posted by HANSHIN View Post
    Ya, I know guys swear by the snell I just don’t think it does what they think it does. Meaning, I think reason they’re successful has zero to do with the snell. Just my opinion. As far as the feel for the reel with the 8 its a little easier to stay with the bait. When you hook up its easier to stay with the fish and pull him out with the rod as opposed to winch him out with the reel. Lots of times the fish will bolt for deep water. Sometimes before you set the hook and sometimes after. Little easier to catch up with them when they do that. Don’t know if that makes any sense but thats why I go with the 8. Like I said I don’t think its that big of a difference than the 7. There’s never been a time when I lost a fish where I was thinking to myself if I was using the 8 I would have landed him and vice verse. As far as owner is concerned I was just speaking generally. I’ve always had great experiences with their hooks. I know we’re having a punch, flip, pitch conversation but I was talking across the board. The power pro is definitely loud. Don’t know what you mean by stiff. I probably need to keep trying some other braids. I hear lots of good things about Gamma.
    Thanks for the feedback on that "feel" thing. The Power pro has a waxy surface coating which stiffens it up as well as it being a 4 carrier braid so that in itself makes it more stiff. Gamma hands down, especially the 60 Hollow Core braid ( 16 strand) is the strongest braid for punching period. The 65 solid core is also crazy strong but not as silent as the 16 carrier 60. I promise you the 60 hollow core is equal to most 80's and or 100 lb braids break strength and abrasion resistance wise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123