Talons drawing amps

I bought a new 2019 X21 boat with 2 10ft talons. Battery been giving me problems so today I checked for a drain /draw on the battery . Found my talons are drawing .22 volts all the time. This is killing my battery is a few days. Anyone with this problem with their talons. Any help would be nice.
    Thanks
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

2. Banned
    How did you measure a volt draw? It should be in amps.
    My 8' Talon has a slight draw; I can't remember how much, but it's like .05 of an amp per hour, or 1.1 amps per day.
    Are you charging up your starting battery between fishing trips?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    How did you measure a volt draw? It should be in amps.
    My 8' Talon has a slight draw; I can't remember how much, but it's like .05 of an amp per hour, or 1.1 amps per day.
    Are you charging up your starting battery between fishing trips?
    I used a multi meter it may be drawing .22 amps not sure. Yes I charge the battery after each uses ,I charged the battery all night Tuesday night until Wednesday morning. Today it took over 3 hours to top the battery back off. Last week it had sat for a little over a week didn't top it off got to the lake would not start. I have a 31 1100 cc amp battery
    LIFE IS GOOD

4. Member
    Sounds like they were installed without a switch. Power should be cut off completely to the talons when not in use. Many guys on here are using this one, which I also just bought for my upcoming install.

1 X Marine Boat Battery Power Disconnect Switch, Heavy Duty Battery Isolator Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EBQOKEQ..._zZyJCb608DBTJ

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    I used a multi meter it may be drawing .22 amps not sure. Yes I charge the battery after each uses ,I charged the battery all night Tuesday night until Wednesday morning. Today it took over 3 hours to top the battery back off. Last week it had sat for a little over a week didn't top it off got to the lake would not start. I have a 31 1100 cc amp battery
    The Talons would have to be completely faulty to kill a battery in a week. I would check everything, not just the Talons.
    As Sbassin22 posted, you should install a cut off switch to completely disconnect the battery.

6. Banned
    .22 of an amp draw would be 37 amps in 7 days.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    I bought a new 2019 X21 boat with 2 10ft talons. Battery been giving me problems so today I checked for a drain /draw on the battery . Found my talons are drawing .22 volts all the time. This is killing my battery is a few days. Anyone with this problem with their talons. Any help would be nice.
    Thanks
    Did you disconnect anything to make the measurement?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    The Talons would have to be completely faulty to kill a battery in a week. I would check everything, not just the Talons.
    As Sbassin22 posted, you should install a cut off switch to completely disconnect the battery.

I checked everything that is hooked to the battery . Nothing showed any draw except the talons. Each talon had a .11 are .12 draw.
    LIFE IS GOOD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Did you disconnect anything to make the measurement?
    Yes I disconnected everything from the battery
    LIFE IS GOOD

10. Member
    As any DC electronic device, to completely shut the power of to the device it is best to add a switch or attach to the main power breaker on you boat along with the fused line proved with the Talon.
    The talon will draw a battery down after a period of time. All talon are not equal on this draw down. It is the nature of the electronics. A week does not seem to be excessive.
    Example. Attach a DC light bulb like a running light to you battery and leave it on for a week. See what you get. I bet it will draw down the battery. the same applies to a troll motor. If it is not disconnected from the Troll batteries it will draw them down also.
    I always recommend that all electronic devices be disconnect from the power source during charging and if it will set for a week or so.

11. Banned
    Talons should have a disconnect wired in line or wired thru a master disconnect.. period.

12. Member
    I had the same issue until I added a master disconnect, problem solved.