Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Garmin SideVu vs HB Mega Si

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about making the switch from HB to Garmin and had a couple of questions. The most important question I have is how does SideVU with the GT54UHD transducer compare to HB's Mega si?? To me side imaging is one of the most important tools I use and I wanted to know if they are comparable between both brands? I was told by a Garmin rep that they are very comparable but wanted to get some opinions here. He also mentioned an upgraded trasnducer thats even better than the GT54. I am interested in the new Echomap Ultra's if that makes any difference and would be adding Livescope down the road.
    Last edited by Car_nut15; 03-16-2019 at 04:08 PM.

2. Member
    garmin's clear vu is actually down scan if the transducer has down element. side vu is side image or side scan

3. Member
    Fixed!

4. Member
    This coming from someone who has never used either one,that transducer or the HB, but a little research will most likely
    reveal that the mentioned HB unit will win.

5. Member
    If side imaging is your primary need, I would stick with Humminbird based on what's out at the moment. Mega is much stronger.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappielimits View Post
    If side imaging is your primary need, I would stick with Humminbird based on what's out at the moment. Mega is much stronger.
    I want Garmin G3 mapping and Live scope with HB Si. Looks like maybe I should consider a combination of both?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Hey guys,

The most important question I have is how does SideVU with the GT54UHD transducer compare to HB's Mega si?
    I've never use HB Mega SI or the newer Mega +. You should be able to find plenty on the Hbird forum about it. IMO the GT34UHD is better than the GT54UHD. There are discussions and images on this board about that with some difference of opinion.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    @lwinchester2 can u link that discussion where is comparision between 54 and 34 with images? havent found yet and tryed to look for a while even from google but just couple demo images from 54 . im ordering this gpsmap unit on couple weeks and im fishing 16-40ft water usually so do i see just black with 54 on my depths or?

9. Member
    Any more thoughts on Garmin SideVu vs HB Mega Si.... I'm in the exact situation as Car_Nut 15

10. Member
    I like the GT-54 but it doesnt compare to the HB Mega. If youre like carnut and need great sidevision, get the HB.

Theres one exception, though, and thats the GT-51 running at 260khz. This thing scans way out there to cover a lot of area. Low detail if you try zooming in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chief Brody; 03-11-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    I like the GT-54 but it doesnt compare to the HB Mega. If youre like carnut and need great sidevision, get the HB.

Theres one exception, though, and thats the GT-51 running at 260khz. This thing scans way out there to cover a lot of area. Low detail if you try zooming in.
    Humminbird used 262 kHz in the beginning, but dropped it in favor if better images with the higher frequencies.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Oh ya? which units were those?

13. Member
    I've had both if you can dial in a unit Garmin is so close to HB there's not much difference but 2d and GPS Garmin is king by a long way save yourself some money and go with Garmin wish someone gave me this advice would of save a lot of money.
    I run 8612's front and back

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Oh ya? which units were those?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyjack10 View Post
    Any more thoughts on Garmin SideVu vs HB Mega Si.... I'm in the exact situation as Car_Nut 15
    Like Car_Nut 15 mentioned that he may do, I run a HB Helix 12MSI gn2 unit at my console and a Garmin Echomap 93plus SV/CV w/Livescope on my bow. Yes the HB side image is hands down the best on the market. And if you are still on the fence and wondering if Livescope is worth the money, ask Hank Cherry what he thinks.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

16. Member
    I have the 106sv with gt54.
    I don't think its even close to a gen 3 which my friends have.
    I got it for livescope and added the 54 to see it. Not impressed

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    I have the 106sv with gt54.
    I don't think its even close to a gen 3 which my friends have.
    I got it for livescope and added the 54 to see it. Not impressed
    Might be your tuning, i went from gen 3 to Garmin, after some tuning it's pretty good, not HB good but bloody good (GT 54)

simple answer is no.

19. Member
    Here is a video comparing a Garmin and Humminbird Mega, goto the 0:53 mark in the video.

20. Member
    Where do we get to the point of limited return? What I mean by that is okay even if Humminbird has slightly better images, does that mean we cant decipher whats down there with Garmins?

Hypothetically, if they both show a side scanned image of a brush pile, does it really matter if the Humminbird shows 4 branches sticking out and lets say the Garmin only showed 3, does that effect your decision on if it a good spot to fish or not?

Same concept could be applied to a rock piles, does it matter if the Humminbird has better image of the rocks if you are able to tell on the Garmin that there is a rock pile there?

Just throwing some thoughts out....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast