Thread: Water pressure

Banned

Water pressure

Serial: 2B018828
    Model: 1150P73EY
    2014 150 Pro XS

I've been having water pressure issues since last fall. In September I replaced the water pump, which somewhat fixed it, but still wasn't getting the pressure I was used it. It was ok at like 14-15 psi, but nothing like the 20-22 I was getting. Last weekend pressure was terrible. About .6 - .7 at idle and maybe 10 psi at WOT. Temps were ok at WOT so I just didn't idle much and wanted to finish the tournament.

Today I replaced the water pump, poppet assembly, thermostats, cleaned the strainer. While replacing the water pump I decided to pull the pump base. There was water under there around the drive shaft and the gasket was in 3 pieces. So I replaced the gasket and o-ring on the pump base. Drained the lower unit and found a bit of water in there. It wasn't bad, not completely milky, but I could tell some water had gotten in.

After I put it all back together I ran it in the driveway on muffs. Getting 2.3 psi at idle and just about 6-7 psi at 1000 rpms, temps stabilize at 153 at idle, quickly drop when revved to 1000 rpm. Didn't want to run it any higher on muffs.

Does this sound like it's running correctly? Worth putting it on the water or should I be looking at something else?

2. Member
    Likely the pump base gasket was your problem. When servicing the 2.5L Opimax water pump, at minimum, need to replace the plate, impeller and all 3 gaskets every time whether or not you replace the housing. Also critical is housing torque, need an inch pound torque wrench/screwdriver or risk distorting housing or pushing gaskets.

I'd suggest you get it in the water and run it. To me, your "on the hose" numbers sound fine, BUT, you may have set an overspeed fault be revving out of gear while on the hose. To paraphrase Don says, never rev an Optimax above idle except when in gear and going somewhere.

Suspect all will be normal after an in water test.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those gaskets below the impeller plate (and below the water pump base) will bite you every time if you don't replace them. Been there, chased that, have the t-shirt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Those gaskets below the impeller plate (and below the water pump base) will bite you every time if you don't replace them. Been there, chased that, have the t-shirt.
    You should sell those T-shirts, many of us have earned them too.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I did once, never again.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I've honestly replaced the impeller and housing 3 times on my motor and not once pulled the base up to replace the gasket under it or o-ring on it. Then....I'm always wondered...wtf are these extra gaskets for? And what are these extra o-rings? Hey, these little yellow things look like the seals on the lower unit drain plugs....well, shit, they ARE the seals for the lower unit drains!

lol

Sometimes the most obvious things are staring you straight in the face and you fail to realize what they are.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    yep sho have
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    the housing can be a pain getting off sometimes

9. Member
    I find the pump base to be a little more testy than the housing, but with a little patience even the pump base isn't that bad.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Banned
    I use plastic body panel pry tools to ease the base plate up without marking or risking breaking it. Takes some patience to work it up evenly.

11. Member
    Dave I find them to handy tools for a lot of things.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Banned
    Happy to report that my water pressure issue is resolved. Took it out, getting 3 psi at idle and 18-20 psi at WOT.

13. Member
    Success!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax