Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Met MGL vs Bantam MGL

I've got a couple of Met MGL reels and love them, also a Chronarch MGL which is pretty damn sweet also. Everytime I pick up one of the Mets I kind of have a smile on my face as I really enjoy the reels. With that said if I get ready to buy a new reel in a few weeks should I stick with the Met or try the Bantam? No specific purpose at this point just thinking I may pick up a new reel before too long. On the Chronarch when I use it I think "theres no big difference between this and the Met" until I pick up the Met but the Chronarch is still a great reel.

2. Member
    Nobody with both want to give a comparison?

3. Member
    I had both. Just sold the Met and still have the Bantam. I like the profile and feel in hand better with th Bantam. As far as performance, I put braid on it with a mono backing and can throw to the knot. The reel is solid. Hope this helps.

4. Member
    I have both and prefer the bantam for power fishing applications. The met seems to throw a little further. The met fits better in my hands than the bantam. the Bantam is smaller framed but has different contours than the met. Depends on the application as to which i would buy and i would buy either of them again.

5. Member
    Have 5 mets and 3 bantams. Bantams are for power fishing like Jhard said. I use them primarily for cranking, spinnerbaits, topwater. Mets get used for everything else. I enjoy them just as much as my mets. If you were ever a fan of round reels the bantam feels like a smaller round reel and very comfortable in hand.

I actually prefer the Chronarch MGL over the Met. The Bantam I just don't like the feel of even though it is physically a little smaller.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Im in the same boat as the others. The Bantam honestly feels like your wasting it if your not making it work hard. Its such a smooth and crisp reel its just not a “great at everything reel”, at least not to me. More often than not, I am going to pick up a Metanium unless its mega power fishing.

8. Member
    I love tge cantam reels but I agree with other posters I tend to use them for reaction type baits and flipping heavy weights and such , Texas rigs, jerk baits, and stuff that doesn’t require a ton of reeling I would pick up the metanium

9. Member
    Would fishing 1/2oz jigs be considered power fishing?

10. Member
    Well I got another Metanium in from Japan a couple weeks ago and yesterday got my first Bantam with another one coming in from Japan soon. I haven't used it yet but I'm very anxious to get it out on the water. One will be going on a Cara Head Turner the other on a new GLX 844mbr. The Metanium is sitting on a NRX 894. I bought bearings to replace the worm gear bushing on all three and to add an additional bearing to the Bantams knobs totaling two each.

curious to hear what you think. I love my metaniums and met mgls, but have had my interest peaked on the bantam for certain applications. (frogs, heavy apps with vegitation) with the brass gears.

12. Moderator
    I have several Chronarch and Metanium MGL's and love them. Never thrown the bantam. Not sure you can go wrong with any of them to be honest.....

13. Member
    I bought 1 Bantam MGL and now I am in the process of switching all my reels over to the Bantam with the exception of my light baitcast applications. I really like the feeling of the aluminum frame and body. It just feels crisper to me when compared to the composite reels.
    Last edited by Rick McFaul; 05-12-2019 at 06:21 AM.

14. Member
    So I took the Bantam out today and it is a great reel although I didn't catch any of my fish on it. Still not enough time with it to say I'd give up my Metanium MGL's for it (those were in my hand 95% of the day). I love my Chronarch MGL also but I'd probably order another Bantam over a Chronarch. I'm waiting to get my other Bantam in this week to but on my GLX. I did add the bearings to the knobs and the worm gear before using it.

15. private pond ninja
    Just put brass gears in the Mentaniums and you will enjoy them a lot better.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

16. Member
    If you are throwing baits in the lighter range 1/4-1/2 I would stay away from the Bantam. The line guide is too close to the spool. With braid and sometimes Flouro it would bind the line because of the extreme angle. Also if you get use to light reels sub 5.5oz I found it too heavy.

17. Member
    The shape and size of the Bantam MGL reminds me of the old Core 50. I have not noticed any casting issues due to the line guide angle. I fished a 3/8 oz swim jig for 4 days straight and the reel cast better than my Zillion SV TWS reels. I'll probably go to the Aldebaran for baits 1/4 oz and below

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    The shape and size of the Bantam MGL reminds me of the old Core 50. I have not noticed any casting issues due to the line guide angle. I fished a 3/8 oz swim jig for 4 days straight and the reel cast better than my Zillion SV TWS reels. I'll probably go to the Aldebaran for baits 1/4 oz and below
    I've got an Aldeberan MGL on a NRX 853c for my wife and it's an awesome combo

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoh1967 View Post
    If you are throwing baits in the lighter range 1/4-1/2 I would stay away from the Bantam. The line guide is too close to the spool. With braid and sometimes Flouro it would bind the line because of the extreme angle. Also if you get use to light reels sub 5.5oz I found it too heavy.
    I absolutely disagree. Throws my 1/4 oz Rico like a bomb! Weightless 4" wacky Senkos no problem. 1/2 oz spinnerbaits go a mile. Using .010" dia 43# Hitena Pureline and .011" dia 50# Silky braid. Handles lures down to 1/4 oz as well as my Cores and Mets. I have four Bantams that I've been using under real world conditions on the lake catching fish for the past 5 months. Three days a week. The "too close to the spool" thing simply isn't an issue. Someone's been watching too much Youtube.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

20. Member
    Thanks for the feedback... the 1/4 oz Rico was my main concern. I typically throw it on 20lb braid. If the Bantam can chuck it then great!! I'll go all Bantams. I'm a big fan of this reel for many reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast