Quote Originally Posted by jamesoh1967 View Post
If you are throwing baits in the lighter range 1/4-1/2 I would stay away from the Bantam. The line guide is too close to the spool. With braid and sometimes Flouro it would bind the line because of the extreme angle. Also if you get use to light reels sub 5.5oz I found it too heavy.
I'm not sure how much time you spent with your Bantams but they are all I fished last year. I came from all Chronarch MGLs that I fished for all of 2017. I fish 3 to 4 days a week all year long so they get used a lot.

When I first started to see people talking about the Bantam not casting well last year I rigged up identical rods, lines, baits with Chronarch MGLs. My Bantams will throw a 3/8 spinner bait the same as the Chronarch. It will throw 5 inch finesse worms with a 1/0 hook and a 1/8 oz weight the same as the Chronarch. The Chronarch will throw a BX Brat (and other light cranks) about 3-5 yards further than my Bantams. I never felt like I couldn't be effective with a BX Brat with the Bantam but the Chronarch MGL does throw them better.

I do think the Bantam is less tolerant of a bad cast or when you try to muscle out a few more yards than a Chronarch MGL.

This is with flouro, 12 to 20 LBS sunline sniper and/or 14 to 20 lbs shooter. All but 2 of my reels are spooled with fluoro but I never felt like a couldn't throw a frog far enough with 832.

Other than testing the casting distance I always picked up the Bantam to fish. I can't put it into words, but the retrieve with a Bantam, and the size, is just something special. I've got 19 or 20 of them and they are just smooth as silk.

I don't notice the weight in use. I did notice it when I'd pick up a rod but in use the weight is a non issue for me. I also fish St. Croix rods (Legend Elites and LTB) so I'm not on the cutting edge of light set ups which could be part of why the weight doesn't bother me.