Thread: Mapping?

Mapping?

So I am loving my new to me 93sv plus but am a little disappointed with the mapping that comes standard. What is the best mapping chip available for NC? Coming from hb lake masters it is very detailed mapping in my opinion. I hate to hear I can’t use it in my Garman

Sorry this is already been beat to death. I scrolled around looking for the answer but figured I’d ask let knowledgeable members here.

Is this my answer?
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/667388

Also, do you have to have a PC and not a MAC to manage your data?

Is Active Captain worth syncing to iPhone? How does that work? The app is searching my home WiFi and my unit says it has a different WiFi. Made me create a password and named the WiFi network Garmin 9688

I appreciate aNy advice from the knowledgeable members here. Ty

3. Member
    I don't know if you have G2 or G3. The link you provided is for G3 Ultra. My impression is that G3 and G3 Ultra are the same maps. The Ultra has more features providing the unit can handle those features. G3 has quite a few more maps than G2. When you unit boots up watch it to see which maps you have. Then go here:lakes.garmin.com
    Look under North Carolina. Select a lake. In the legend on the left you will see 2 columns, one for G3 and one for G3 Ultra. Watch for the notes listed, such as Survey Method Navionics. These came from Garmin's purchase of Navionics. Garmin Elite Multi-Beam Survey. Garmin mapped these.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 03-16-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: corrected url. Thanks jowjatek
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    The correct URL is https://lakes.garmin.com/

I also have two units. Do I need a dedicated sd card for both units?

Quote Originally Posted by JC25 View Post
    I also have two units. Do I need a dedicated sd card for both units?
    Mapping does not share with the Plus units, so yes either two cards or swap the card from the front to the back.
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Sorry I'm new to this also. So do I buy a sd card, and purchase the lakevu g3 through Garmins website? I just purchased an Echomap plus 93sv and my home lake is not preloaded

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRN HED KILR View Post
    Sorry I'm new to this also. So do I buy a sd card, and purchase the lakevu g3 through Garmins website? I just purchased an Echomap plus 93sv and my home lake is not preloaded
    You get a free upgrade to g3. You can use Garmin express for windows to download this to your own card and plug it in your unit. Did your lake show up in the Garmin lakes search at the link above?
    I have a boat.

9. Member
    Yes, all the lakes in my area showed up on the lake vu g3 link. I bought the unit in January, I didn't think I would need to update it this quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GRN HED KILR View Post
    Yes, all the lakes in my area showed up on the lake vu g3 link. I bought the unit in January, I didn't think I would need to update it this quickly.
    What was the contour like on the g3 link or our lakes? I have Mac at home so that's a downer since I didn't't know that ahead of time.

11. Member
    So my understanding is the G3 Ultra Vision map cards are $199. Garmin detailed map 175 lakes & combined with Navionics charts. I am excited to see the relief shading on my units. Do the G3 map cards work in all Garmin Units going back to 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by thedrfish View Post
    So my understanding is the G3 Ultra Vision map cards are $199. Garmin detailed map 175 lakes & combined with Navionics charts. I am excited to see the relief shading on my units. Do the G3 map cards work in all Garmin Units going back to 2015?
    Compatibility list for LakeVu g3 Ultra:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/667388#devices
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    The correct URL is https://lakes.garmin.com/
    How do I read the map list?

I see it listing both the G3 and G3 Ultra. Do I just look at the checkmarks?

14. Member
    Look it all. The checkmarks are what's new in 2019. It lets you see the difference between G3 and G3 Ultra.
    Also, you can tell if it came from Navionics.
    Here are a couple of examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Member
    Is there a way to overlay Google earth onto the map?
    Thanks!

16. Member
    Sorry if this has been covered but I am currently having 93sv plus and Livescope installed on my boat and my HB 998 I have up front I was planning on using for mapping is going out so I plan on just using the new Garmin for mapping also.
    My question is can I split screen a small portion of the screen to mapping and the rest of the screen for Livescope?

17. Member
    Tecnically yes. Practically, I think you need the screen space for the LVS.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster 1 View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered but I am currently having 93sv plus and Livescope installed on my boat and my HB 998 I have up front I was planning on using for mapping is going out so I plan on just using the new Garmin for mapping also.
    My question is can I split screen a small portion of the screen to mapping and the rest of the screen for Livescope?
    I tried it and didn't like it.