Thread: Nitro Quality

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    The reason Nitro boats are such a "bargain" is that every corner that can be cut is cut
    1. Carpet is of lighter weight than a Ranger or Basscat
    2. Cheap plastic consoles vs fiberglass on Basscat
    3. Cheaper fiberglass resins than a Basscat
    4 As mentioned, cheaper locker handles than a Ranger or Basscat
    5. Cheaper seat vinyl than a Ranger or Basscat
    I could go on but remember this when comparing prices: By the time you "upgrade" the trolling motor, electronics, engine, & trailer options, the Nitro is not a bargain at all

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superpro View Post
    The reason Nitro boats are such a "bargain" is that every corner that can be cut is cut
    I could go on but remember this when comparing prices: By the time you "upgrade" the trolling motor, electronics, engine, & trailer options, the Nitro is not a bargain at all

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that Ranger, BCB, and Nitro all use 24oz. carpet.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

3. Member
    I had a 2013 Z9, it was a great platform and I did like how it was layed out. Now that being said they are cheaply built and if it’s within 2-3 years old you probably won’t have any problems. For me when it was past that 3 year mark is when stuff started showing up with the quality. Like the trailer bunks were rotten at 3 years, seats cracked and needed redone at 3 years, the cheap electrical crimps they used in the boat started failing, the latches are probably the cheapest ones available. So as long as you know that your going to be fixing some of that stuff your good. Was it a big deal to fix? Not if you know how to fix it but if your going to the shop it might. I did like the boat but after seeing some of that stuff I will not purchase another one.

4. Member
    Taken care of a Nitro will last as long as anything else on the market.You buy a boat to fish out of.As long as it is a safe boat,a descent ride and handling,not falling apart,and all electronics and the engine are dependable is all you can ask for.I have been in a many Nitro the last 5 years and I would have no problem with one,new or used.As far as the materials,latches,switches,etc. that are used in a Nitro vs. Rangers,Basscats,Skeeters,etc. the quality may not be there but your not paying the top dollar for them.The thing that I always thought hurt Nitro was their boat color packages and their color scheme,which today is getting much better.I think you will continue to see more Nitros because price wise it is a poor mans working mans bass boat.jmo
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that Ranger, BCB, and Nitro all use 24oz. carpet.
    In addition to that, the consoles are not plastic either; they are fiberglass. The seat vinyl with the newer designed seats are the best in the bass boat market, this is not even close. I could go on but when you really compare prices for similar equipped boats you will find out that Nitro has designed and developed the quality boat for the the best price. This has been demonstrated too many times right here on this site. Now, the only thing that I wish Nitro did differently was use the C-Channel trailer like Ranger uses instead of the tube trailer.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Buy what you like, don't bash what you never owned!

Before I knew that everyone hated Nitro boats and they were a POS, I ordered a brand new 2000 185 Sport F&S with a 150hp Merc XR6 for a family boat as my first fiberglass boat. Wrote a check when it came in and my kids and I fished out of that boat for 12 years with no boat or motor issues during that time. Had I known that my wife was planning her exit and we would not be going boating as a family, I would have just bought a bass boat.

After 12 years of owning the Nitro, I bought the boat in my signature "used" and advertised the Nitro in craigslist. Sold it within 1 week to the first person that showed up with cash. I still see the boat on Champlain every now and then.

Since I've only owned two fiberglass boats in the last 19 years, you won't see me bashing anyone's brand of boat!

EDIT: Only trailer issue I had was when a mouse chewed on the wiring causing it to short to the frame and blow a fuse. Had to rewire the trailer.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    In addition to that, the consoles are not plastic either; they are fiberglass. The seat vinyl with the newer designed seats are the best in the bass boat market, this is not even close. I could go on but when you really compare prices for similar equipped boats you will find out that Nitro has designed and developed the quality boat for the the best price. This has been demonstrated too many times right here on this site. Now, the only thing that I wish Nitro did differently was use the C-Channel trailer like Ranger uses instead of the tube trailer.
    only the z21 comes with higher grade carpet also the seats are very nice but the material used is junk. I see way to many nitro seat issues. The material just isn’t soft/pliable. Very easy to tear and separate from the stitching.
    Nitro z21

8. Banned
    I like Nitro's and think they're good boats. The boat itself will last. The quality of the accouterments has been skimped on. Some corners have to be cut to get the price points they're asking for these boats.

Would I buy one? Yes. But I would expect to be replacing things sooner than on other boat brands. Like seats and rigging. My friends '14 Z9 is still going strong, but his seats are beat to hell. His boat is garage kept and well cared for. Aside from the seat it still looks new.

If I were in the market I'd price a Nitro loaded how I wanted, then try to haggle on a left over new Triton equally equipped.

Just pricing out a Z20 loaded the way I want it's only a couple grand cheaper than a Falcon 205 loaded the way I want.

You decide.

9. Dogfish_Jones
    The only complaint I have with Nitro boats is not the boat but the trailers. My 2015, Z7 has been a workhorse of a boat. Plenty of fishing space, rides smooth, plenty of storage. Okay, I have one complaint, the middle seat but they have done away with them now unless you order one as an option. But you can take it out and put in a step which I will be doing.
    Now... other than those items, I love my Nitro and will not be hesitant to ever buying another one if I needed a bigger boat.

I don't know how they've changed in recent years. I can say that when I was shopping for my boat I tried to go into it without any preconceived notions. During my shopping process, I looked at 3 Nitros total, two from the late 90s and one from maybe 2000 or 2001. All three of them had severe stress cracking, and 2 of the three had cracked transoms one of which had a gap that was a good 1/4" wide and opened wider when leaning on the outboard. The one that didn't have the cracked transom had soft spots in the floor around the drain. I couldn't believe the guys were trying to sell them (especially with the trashed transoms), but that's neither here nor there. I found my 481vs later on and couldn't be happier.

Clearly my experiences are far from scientific as three boats does not a brand make, and a lot can change with quality in 20 or so years of building boats. For example, my dad's early 2000s Bullet, while fast, left a lot to be desired in fit and finish - creaky decks, trim pieces that fell off in the first year, cheap switches, dumb design with accessing the pumps requiring removal of the fuel tank (which had swollen up by the time the pumps needed changed), etc - and by all accounts, Bullet is one of the most quality boats out there at least these days. So clearly you can't judge something based on a small sample. Those boats I looked at did put a sour taste in my mouth with Nitro though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Well I had a nitro and never again. No comparison to the skeeter, basscat or Phoenix that I have had since
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman2006 View Post
    Here's my view and you can take it for what it's worth. Look through the classifieds on this site and you will see 50 plus Rangers for sale older than 2008. And you will see less than 10 Nitros that old. Then ask yourself why that is.
    Did Ranger sell 5-6 times more boats, at a more expensive price? No.
    Do Ranger owners just not like their boats and are getting rid of them? Probably not
    Do Nitro owners just love their rigs and won't sell them? lol probably not
    Or could it be Nitro boats just don't stand the test of time???
    Before you Nitro lovers rip me... I will say the new Nitros look like a nice boat, and they may very well last. In a decade we will find out how well they hold up. Nitros past reputation says they won't.
    I have a Nitro dealer 15 mins from my house. I seriously considered a new one a few years ago. A quick Google search of Nitro Customer service and warranty issues changed my mind.
    lol so your saying nitros don’t last ? Did you ever think maybe they like their boat. I owned a 2003 901 cdx and had no problems and yet to fish on anything else that offered any better fishing platform. That boat was extremely stable .
    There is nothing wrong with them it’s just a status thing that’s it. People that say this kinda stuff are the same people that try to justify spending 800 on a rod and reel then can’t explain why Billy Bob routinely catches bigger fish than them. With his 200 combo.
    J D

Quote Originally Posted by Superpro View Post

Saw a Nitro at the ramp. Beautiful boat. I asked him about the boat and he liked it, mater of fact he loved the boat but pointed out its flaws. The quality of the components in the boat were fading, tearing, breaking much quicker than he expected. The boat performed well just material used weren't up to the standard he felt they should be. I do belive the Z20, Z21 boats are the best boats the built. I would own one but go into it knowing where you may find issues.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    In the last 15 years Nitro has been the most winningest boat at the Classic including today , Ranger onece . Triton runner up .

Quote Originally Posted by Hooksandarrows View Post
    In the last 15 years Nitro has been the most winningest boat at the Classic including today , Ranger onece . Triton runner up .
    So if I buy a Nitro I become a better Fisherman? Even if it did, it would still be last on my list!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooksandarrows View Post
    Those guys get a new one every year. I'd be happy with {insert boat brand here} if I got a new one every year.

17. Member
    I had a Nitro back in the early 2000's and it was a decent boat. Not the fit and finish of a Ranger but nothing I could not live with.

The trailer on the other hand was garbage.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Ken Braun
    Those two words dont go together!

19. Member
    Honestly, and I say this from the perspective of someone who has only 2 brands available new in the state, they leave something to be desired, but aren't bad overall.

The Z8 (the only Nitro I had ridden in and the first bass boat I'd ever been in) was not very good. Even at a cruising speed around 50mph, the ride was rough and wet. For the most part, fishing wise, it was very nice.

When I look at them in the showroom at bass pro, they look nice. But there's always little things, but no brand is perfect. Some ride better, some are faster, some fish more flat or more stable. To me, if it came down to getting a base model 20-21' nitro or a smaller boat from another brand for the same money, I don't know which I'd choose. It's likely I'd go smaller.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Well Nitro's definitely a nicer, better built boat than a champion, sprint, procraft, legend, astro, cajun, winner, hydrasport and stratos. All those companies are gone while the most bashed brand in history is doing just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast