DeQueen, Gilham,Dierks, Greeson and Milwood

Visiting Kin this week in Mena and saw these lakes on a map that seemed to be in driving distance. I like the smaller lakes that are out of the traffic zone. Bass and crappie are our targets. GRandson and I are off for a week. We will fish Broken Bow and Piney Creek in Oklahoma. Maybe I would try one of these Arkansas lakes. Any info on any of these lakes would be appreciated.
    weather finally looks like it will behave.
    thanks

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Haven't fished Gilham or DeQueen but the other three are lots of fun. White bass ought to be firing on Millwood, well the river feeding it. Greeson is just pretty and has a lot of willing bass. Still working on figuring Dierks so no help.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    Greeson sounds like a good place for a grandson. He will fish dawn to dusk. But I like to see him when he is whomping em. He gets pretty excited and so do I. We are like a couple of monkeys in that boat sometimes. He is getting to be a pretty good fisherman for 13. Thanks for the tip.

4. Member
    Greeson is a good crappie lake, typical deep Clearwater lake. Except in the upper end there are some big cypress trees in the river. Should be about the right time for the crappie to move up.

I have never fished Dierks, Milwood or DeQueen. All three should be shallower, muddier water.

i have fished DeGray a few times, got into the hybrid stripers once, filled a big cooler with them pretty quick.

All in all, I’d probably spend my time at Greeson.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

5. Member
    That’s two for two.I love to eat the crappie but love to catch the bass. I have never been a great crappie fisherman but hope my new electronics can help me out. Cypress trees have got to be fun to fish around-something I have never done. Hybrids are fighters but the fishing is totally different. But it would be nice to have the option. They always seem to prefer live shad around here and could care less about lures/plastics etc.
    thanks for your input.

6. Member
    The closest lake to you in Mena would be Ouachita. The white bass ought to be up in the river about now.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

7. Real Deal Tungsten
    pm sent

8. Member
    We do an annual week long family crappie trip this time of year on Greeson. My cousin is a teacher and he went Friday for the coming week which is his Spring Break, my Uncles and Dad will be there the last week of the month. Unfortunately I can't make it this year. My Uncle lives in Little Rock and literally goes to Greeson every weekend to crappie fish. He has several spots he's made but knows a lot of spots that are in the lake and he catches some slabs. They have crappie guides there if you want to do that. My family typically stays in the Self Creek area and toward the river around Arrowhead.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    I love to eat the crappie but love to catch the bass.
    Me too! I don't get much time to fish around here but when I do, I'm usually going after crappie just to eat them (usually when it's spring and they're shallow cause I suck at catching them any way else). Can't help with your question but my dad took me to Millwood camping for my 12th birthday (I'm 43 now) and we had a blast! The water was way high and he knows nothing about bass fishing but I had read an article in the BASS magazine about all of the big 5 pounders coming out of Millwood so that's where I wanted to go. We rented a small flat bottom at the marina/bait store and didn't catch a bass. Came back and talked to the guy at the store and he got us some cane poles and crickets and told us to look for the floating mats of wood/sticks. We had a blast catching big ole bream the rest of the trip! Great memories!!! Have fun!

10. Member
    Greeson is a beautiful little/big lake. White bass/spotted bass and largemouth almost as white as the white bass. Obviously they have just started moving up.
    rattle traps were our big winner today. Staying close to deeper water in sunshine seemed to help too.
    we will try again tomorrow.