Thread: LVS32 and LVS12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LVS32 and LVS12

Trying to understand the difference between these two transducers?

Am I correct in assuming they provide the same function just that the LVS32 requires the blackbox to work and the LVS12 doesn't and will work directly connected to a unit that can support it? Are they both the same quality?

The reason I'm asking is with the recent announcement of the new ECHOMAP Ultra units I'm considering going to that screen and the LVS12 to eliminate the blackbox in my setup. Would I lose anything by going that route (quality, processing, etc)?

Thanks,

Robert

Not the same function. The KHz and watts are the same, but the coverage is a lot different. The LVS12 has a 20* x 60* beam, the LVS32 has a 20* x 135* beam. If you can find pictures of both, they will show much more area for the LVS32.

3. Member
    looking at the videos it appears the LvS12 would need about 25 feet out to see the bottom at 25 feet and the LVs32 actually sees straight down? Is this correct? I will be buying something within the next week and was really excited when I saw the EchoMap Ultra drop yesterday especially with it not needing the box. Looking at the difference I’m concerned I will not like the LVS12 because of the lack of coverage area.
    Last edited by Sbp; 03-15-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Check the first link. The lsv12 has two views. Down or forward. So you can see straight down. It says the views can be changed without changing position of the transducer. It also says both views can be side by side like combo screen. I wonder why they don't just merge them in one screen? I wouldn't like the lack of coverage.

5. Member
    Im with you there GP I wouldn’t care for the lack of coverage. Our sportsman show is next weekend. Hopefully they have one I can get hands on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    The LVS12 has a 20* x 60* beam
    A total of 60 degrees but not 20x60. It has a 30 degree down cone and a 30 degree forward cone. The display of the two cones side by side on screen is a bit awkward. I cannot explain some of this LVS12 business. Maybe I'm reading the specs wrong, but a 30 degree down cone puts 15 degrees on each side of straight down. That leaves a 45 degree gap between the down cone and the forward cone. In actual use, it does not look like the gap is that big and the down cone looks larger than 30 degrees, more like 45 degrees -----at times. Still there's a gap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 03-15-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Looks like LVS32 with the box would give the best results.

8. Member
    Seems like the lvs12 might be more suited to a transom mount or larger ocean/salmon boat that wouldnt have a trolling motor or any easy way to steer it or rotate it from front to down looking.

9. Member
    Thatnks for that LWinchester

10. Member
    This might give a better indication of the coverage differences between the 12 and 32.
    Now these shots are not very clear. They came from the unit to the phone as video, then to the computer and then screen capture on the computer. So don't think the actual resolution is this bad. The point is just to illustrate the coverage differences.

The areas hatched in red show what part of the LVS32 will NOT show on the LVS12.

Also if you want to see both the Down and Forward of the LVS12 it takes a major sacrifice of screen usage to do this. Two panels have to be set up with Down in one and Forward in the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 11-08-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Editted to add pic showing two panels
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Thanks LWINCHSTER2! That is a great picture that clearly shows the difference. I do have one question though. If the angle is 30 degrees on the forward view really just like 15 degrees down from the surface? I think that makes sense that it would be 15 up and 15 down (with the 15 up not really being very helpful). If it is really 30 degrees down from straight ahead then I think your forward view should be twice the angle you are showing (1' of depth for every 2' forward rather than 1' of depth for every 4' forward).

Now I am trying to figure out when the LVS12 forward view would be of use. I can see the down view being great for drop shotting but the forward view seems like it would miss pretty much all of the fish you would be fishing for (for bass fishing).

12. Member
    aiming at a bank, or a tree, or docks

13. Member
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Also, I looked at the pictures on the LVS21 product page and I think that the forward view is twice as good as LWINCHSTER2 was showing. It is really hard to read the scale but I think it is showing 1' in depth for 2' forward (which is the full 30 degrees). That is better but still seems like it makes the LVS12 mostly a shallow water unit - which is fine given that it costs about 1/3rd of getting an LVS32 (for a new ultra unit). 499 vs 1499.

That is likely more than I want to spend so I will just have to sit here in envy and drool over all the great videos and screen captures.

That is likely more than I want to spend so I will just have to sit here in envy and drool over all the great videos and screen capture
    We all have our views on spending, but I like to say- "buy right, cry once- buy wrong, cry every time you use it". (Not to pick on people who can't afford it though).

15. Member
    That is sound advice GPtimes2. I am running an Echomap 73SV chirp right now. I like that unit so I need to really feel that something is compelling for my fishing style for me to want to upgrade (for the price). I don't quite think the LVS12 does that for me (buy a new sonar and the LVS12). The technology is amazing but not quite perfect for me. The LVS32 requires the box which makes it less palatable for me (moving between kayaks). For now, I am happy to watch the cool videos.

16. Member
    Post #11 is a good example to contrast the LVS12 compared to the LVS32 since I put the LVS12 cones on the LVS32 screen. It's not to scale. I just eyeballed it, but the point is that the LVS12 has a 45 degree gap between the Forward and Down. Post #7 is an accurate representation with measured angles. By comparing the first and second pics you should be able to see that the LVS32, on one screen, shows the coverage of the LVS12 Forward, the 45 degree gap, the LVS12 Down, plus another 15 degrees to the rear.

Garmin makes a lot of products. Some of them I recommend, some I don't. That's just my opinion and mostly based on the performance for MY fishing. For example, The echomap Plus 7's, I'm sure are great units, but I do not recommend them for LiveScope. I do recommend them with Panoptix PS22. That's just me. Your opinion could be different and I respect it. I certainly understand if the price point of some of this stuff restricts a persons choices. The LVS12 is 1/3 the price of LVS32. It does what it does, and some people may like it and it may suit their fishing, but I do not recommend it. There are lots of products on the market that I do not want to hear anyone say that they bought it, based on my recommendation, and the performance was not what I influenced them to expect. The LVS32 is nothing short of a pure marvel. I highly recommend it and I recommend the echomap Plus 93sv as a great unit to use it on. Would you be happier with a 16 in screen? probably. I'd be happier with a 24 inch screen but it's not in the cards.

17. Member
    First of all, thank you LWINCHESTER2 for all the data that share on this forum! I was not trying to be negative, and I really appreciate all the great data you provide. I was just wondering if the eyeballing was off a bit and that the LVS12 is even better than you were showing. The comparison is really nice to see. I agree that no one should take a solely take a recommendation from anyone on the internet on whether to buy something or not. Everyone's use case is going to be somewhat different and we all have to determine what is best for us.

I think that the LVS12 is likely a great choice for many folks. I wish the LVS32 could be used without an extra box since I move things between kayaks - but this is, of course, a very rare use case. Like my father use to say "Wish in one hand and p*ss in the other and see which fills up faster" :) I would not expect Garmin to be trying to capture the market that is the handful of people using it like me :) I am sure at some point a head unit will be released where something like an LVS32 will work with it without a box. I will likely wait for that day because that makes sense for me.

Of course with every youtube video I watch I get the itch to upgrade and it is really hard to stop watching those videos!

18. Member
    No offense taken and it was appropriate to point out the misrepresentation of the cone angle. We all need to be accurate. Thanks.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Not the same function. The KHz and watts are the same, but the coverage is a lot different. The LVS12 has a 20* x 60* beam, the LVS32 has a 20* x 135* beam. If you can find pictures of both, they will show much more area for the LVS32.
    The lvs 12 is 30 degree wide instead of 20. Less down coverage but more width. Running forward and down at the same time I actually love the 12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast