Thread: Price of VX20?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    I don’t think it’s just that people are upset that it’s a luxury item they can’t afford, that is a real generalization on people and their situations. I think people are more concerned about the direction in prices overall – from truck prices to boats.Boat prices in the last 20 years have skyrocketed, prices for electronics are ridiculous.I can buy a 50 inch smart TV for a couple grand tops, but a 10 inch screen that reads depth and side imaging is the same price?I think people overall are just concerned with the rising prices for everything – a lot of people you assume who cant afford a luxury item, probably can, but are maybe more conscious ofthe market and what options they have.There are a lot of great boats on the market for far less money, and even some that are more expensive, all depends on what you want really. This being said, this boat will sure appeal to those that are okay with spending upwards of 80K on aboat for fishing.But I assume that most weekend anglers – which is really what most of us are – will be looking for a more economical option.I think that is where some of the “sticker shock” comes from.Same people would walk by a similar priced Skeeter or Ranger and say thesame thing, it’s not just a Vexus thing.I wish all companies success, competition is good for the market, and options are good for the consumers.I can’t wait to see in another 5-10 years where prices are then – then it truly will be a luxury item that most cannot afford.It’s not a Vexus thing, it’s across the whole industry.
    Lot of good points here. I really think the issue is what the top end target is now vs 25 years ago. For example, in 1991 I bought a new 361-V Ranger with every option available for $18,700.00 out the door. Other than not having a tandem axle trailer it was a carbon copy of the same boat Denny Brauer was running that year. From a financial standpoint it was a blip on the radar for me at the time as in not a big deal at all. Lots of guys today are dropping 80K plus on rigs and still not matching what the pros are running which sets the bar for top of the line. I have a much better job today with much higher pay (even figuring inflation) as compared to 1991 but honestly it would take a lot for me to spend that level of money on a boat. I dropped 42K on my last Ranger and that was and still really is the dividing line between "that wasn't so bad" and "I'm probably not going there".

I don't care where you are financially, dropping 80K to 90K on a luxury item is going to leave a mark on your balance sheet for the year and it's just plain off the table for most. In other words the best the market offered used to be within reach of most of the market place while today, that same goal is out of reach for most. We as anglers have self driven much of this and I'm not complaining here, just stating where some of the frustration is coming from.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Lot of good points here. I really think the issue is what the top end target is now vs 25 years ago. For example, in 1991 I bought a new 361-V Ranger with every option available for $18,700.00 out the door. Other than not having a tandem axle trailer it was a carbon copy of the same boat Denny Brauer was running that year. From a financial standpoint it was a blip on the radar for me at the time as in not a big deal at all. Lots of guys today are dropping 80K plus on rigs and still not matching what the pros are running which sets the bar for top of the line. I have a much better job today with much higher pay (even figuring inflation) as compared to 1991 but honestly it would take a lot for me to spend that level of money on a boat. I dropped 42K on my last Ranger and that was and still really is the dividing line between "that wasn't so bad" and "I'm probably not going there".

I don't care where you are financially, dropping 80K to 90K on a luxury item is going to leave a mark on your balance sheet for the year and it's just plain off the table for most. In other words the best the market offered used to be within reach of most of the market place while today, that same goal is out of reach for most. We as anglers have self driven much of this and I'm not complaining here, just stating where some of the frustration is coming from.
    It cost me about 25-30K to upgrade every 2-3 years, I can't imagine coming out of pocket 80-90 K for a new boat, actually what I am doing is not the smartest either, the only good Thing is there are no payments.

3. Member
    Depends on electronics and add ons such as power poles. Ordered my VX20 last week. My last boat so shot the moon. Garmin graphics and trolling motor. Power pole blades. Can’t wait for delivery. Website has base price. Drove it loved it. Loved my Ranger but this boat is a huge step above Ranger.

I'm just trying to figure out when my time comes, what to say, to show I was being a good steward of my money I was blessed with, when I spent $100K on a bass boat.

I would love to know what a new top tier 20-21’ bass boat would sell for today if financing wasn’t so readily available.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I would love to know what a new top tier 20-21’ bass boat would sell for today if financing wasn’t so readily available.

25,000 would be about it and that’s with everything made today.Finace management at dealers are making big money.

7. Member
    I think a time will come sales will drop because of price .Wages or not keeping up with inflation.There will always be some market there.The new I phone 10 came out 1000.00 bucks sales dropped to almost half .When they talked about it on the news it was the economy.It was not that they went up 400.00 in one year .All boats are way over priced for what they are.

8. Member
    Guys inflation is the only thing keeping this merry go round spinning. Ever since Tricky Dick took us off the gold standard the economic wheels got bigger, and that means more fuel in the form of inflation. You put a Dolla in the bank , the bank then can loan out 10 for that one, the whole damn system is FUBAR, it's just a matter of time until ZIRP does no longer work.
    On a brighter note, interest rates are crazy friggin low, so I will borrow and get something I want and can afford. My 1880 is a fishing machine and damn proud to own it, but after 4 days at Lake Cumberland, my boat looked like a dingy, I thought when I got close to the lake coming in , I would smell fish, what I did smell was money, crazy money in the rigs just as far as you could see, so I don't think these boat manufacturers are going to have much of a problem, what a VX 20 cost, is just a few months of fuel and dock fees to the masses.......... Life is short,Ride it until it Blows.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post

I personally think a big reason why we are seeing the sky rocketing prices is that banks are willing to give a loan on a new boat for 20 yrs. Thats absolutely crazy but its happening. Its the same thing we are seeing with the cost of college education. The colleges know the banks are handing out loans to anyone with a pulse and no limits on how much you can get. The boat manufacturers are doing the same thing. They know the banks are handing out 20 yr loans so they keep running the price up to keep that monthly payment in the $400-$500 a month payment. Simple as that.

The real problem is the depreciation of that new boat over the first year. The banks wont give anything more then a 7 yr loan on a used boat. So that $80-$90k boat just lost $20-$30k as soon as you drive it off the lot. Not many people can afford more then a $60k boat over 7 years. Hence why you are seeing the used boat market hover around that $15-$20k price range for a good 20 yr old boat.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

You only live so long. Buy one!! When you die, die in the Red!!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    25,000 would be about it and that’s with everything made today.Finace management at dealers are making big money.
    Lol you can't be serious.

12. Member
    Cart - Horse - wrong order
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Have you ever seen a poor financial guy ?no because they get a percentage of the loan they get a percentage of everything they add on .Thats why when you go buy a new car truck they want to sell you every thing like extended warranty,paint protection,undercoat ,Remote start,window tinting etc.Theres big money on all that stuff.The banks all say ok no problem.

And that is why the negotiations don’t stop with the salesman.

Get a loan started someplace else before you talk to the F&I guy and tell him to match that rate or beat it, and they can. If they beat it you just saved that interest payment differential over the life of the loan.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Have you ever seen a poor financial guy ?no because they get a percentage of the loan they get a percentage of everything they add on .Thats why when you go buy a new car truck they want to sell you every thing like extended warranty,paint protection,undercoat ,Remote start,window tinting etc.Theres big money on all that stuff.The banks all say ok no problem.
    You said "25k would be it, and thats with everything". Sure money is made when people finance, but you are not getting one of these boats for thousands less if everyone paid cash. They still cost a certain amount to make- all those doodads, gadgets, and gizmos ain't cheap.

16. Member
    In 1982 a Chevrolet Silverado was 12,000. I don't think much has changed. Could not afford it then. Can't afford new one now.

17. Member
    Years ago I purchased and financed a truck at the dealership. Even then they structure the prices in the purchase price and you have to ask for a breakdown for what the actual cost is for the vehicle. As I am paying for it u asked for a breakdown and finance manager was not happy. It is a shell game on moving the prices around. I asked what did the processing fee do. I was told covers the person detailing the cars and also pays salary for the finance manager. Placed purchase on hold and asked a friend who worked at a different dealer. He said the finance manager is happy to throw all the bells and whistles into the loan. The dealerships make up to 1/2 percent of interest over the loan period. Each person does what they choose with their money. I myself got laid off in Jan 2009 during housing bubble. Took me about 1.5 years to find a job totally than Civil Engineering. With that said we survived financially and got through it. The next crash is gonna be an eye opener for alot of people. Also the state and local government's love taxing personal property. As stated above if the financing was 4-5 years for a new car, Student loans repayment capped at 5 years, and yes boat loans no more than 7 years you would see pricing come down to half. Wage growths are not keeping up with cost. Inflation only shows what they choose to give us.
    The Auto industry as a whole has seen the repossession numbers increase in the last 14-18 months.

Texoma as you mentioned that was alot then, fast forward to packaged trucks costing triple that it is out of my price range.
    Growing up as a child and teenager, my parents instilled me and my sister never to be house poor when purchasing a house. Make wise fiscal choices. With that said, at age 24 I knew what it meant. I have attended many financial seminars. The last one was at University of Richmond. Economist went through the state and federal government retirements. I asked the economist how can the 22 trillion defict be cut and paid for.. He replied and said yes the current deficit is 22 trillion. However the true number for federal deficit is 217 trillion. That is based on all the retirements that are underfunded from the state level up to the federal.

Life is all about choices and do what you want with your own money...

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    These guys think long term financing is something new..

19. Member
    Instead of starting a new thread, I found this one, I got the opportunity to climb all over a VX 20 today when I dropped off my boat at the dealership. Beautiful boat, wow!! That thing is a tank!! A very pretty tank however.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

20. Banned
    How can people say that a boat is a luxury item. I would die if I didn't have one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast