Thread: 250 SHO ?

250 SHO ?

How long (hours) does it take to break in this motor? Just trying to avoid any oil making issues by idling motor too much.

2. Member
    10 hours is what should be done. Follow what you were told buy dealer. Mine made oil until about 12 hrs. Then no issues since. I was instructed by my dealer to drain a little oil off (I sucked it out using a vacuum pump) to keep it within the range on dipstick during break in period.
    This is my first Yamaha motor and it made me nervous but no looking back now. Best motor i've ever ran.
    Last edited by Bigfishwilb; 03-28-2019 at 08:33 PM.

3. Member
    I spoke with Yahama mechanic he said they all have the potential to "make oil" until you get 300 or 400 hours. Mine never made oil til about about 130 hrs. Now trying to reseat the rings.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Member
    How exactly does it "make oil" ?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    How exactly does it "make oil" ?
    Rings are not seated properly allowing Fuel to seep past the rings diluting the oil.
    Oil level rises from all the extra fuel in it, hence "Making Oil"

Recommend following dealer/OEM break in procedures, then make long runs at 6000rpm.
    Goal is to have Water temps at or above 145 degrees.
    Come off plane then full power back up into a long run at WOT. Hitting desired water temp for 3-5 min, then drop off plane. Rinse - Repeat.

OP, rings should be seated within the first 20hrs. Then perform 20hr service.

Highly recommend keeping a log or taking pic's of the oil level before and/or after each trip until it no longer makes oil.
    I like taking pics on my phone which also has a date/time stamp. It's also easier than guestimating small oil level changes.

6. Member
    I’m in the middle of it myself. 4 hours and 1 inch high, changed the oil and hopefully I can get through these next 16 hours without any rising of oil. First 4 hours were to a T off what the book says. Next 6 I plan to just let it fly at 6000 rpm for 3-5 min runs.

7. Member
    The harder you run them, the quicker the rings will seat. I have 200 hours on mine with no problems.

8. Member
    Don’t baby it! Run it the max! Run as hard as you can. Need to heat that oil up. Trust me i have been through this.