Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Interstate Battery Sizes

I need to replace my Interstate starting battery. I currently have an Interstate 24M-HD (500 cold cranking amps, 625 cranking amps). Replacing due to it being over 4 years old. I see Interstate has the same size battery, the 24M-XHD (800 cold cranking amps, 1000 cranking amps). About $25 difference in price. Any reason not to buy the XHD that has more cranking amps? Can you have a starting battery to big I guess is my question. Thanks.

No, you can't have one too big, but that battery has basically no reserve capacity. Had one in my boat when I bought it and it died almost immediately. If you tournament fish and/or have anything above minimal electronics you likely won't be happy. Group 24 is a tiny cranking battery anyhow. What motor are you cranking?

Keep in mind that Interstate Batteries are made by Johnson Controls. Same batteries as Wal Mart Everstarts and many others. Not worth the premium for a different color case and different stickers.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I have a 24M-XHD. Used that size for over 12 yrs. I’ve never had a problem Of course I have my graphs wired to my trolling batteries. That battery has the juice to spin things over.
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

4. Member
    i have the 24m-xhd going on 6 this year and works great still
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I have a 99 Johnson 115 faststrike.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoad View Post
    I have a 24M-XHD. Used that size for over 12 yrs. I’ve never had a problem Of course I have my graphs wired to my trolling batteries. That battery has the juice to spin things over.
    How bad is the interference with it connected to the trolling battery?

7. Member
    With that engine, you should not need high ccas for cranking, but, you should have a hefty reserve capacity for running all of your accessories. 24 size batteries have a very low RC. If you want to stay with Interstate, the group 27 (27M-XHD) would be a better choice. 800 ccas and 182 RC. The group 24 still has 800 ccas, but only 135 RC.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    do yourself a favor and get a duracell at sams (this coming from a interstate dealer)

Always get the biggest battery that will fit in the compartment or depending on type with the largest capacity. When it comes to batteries, larger reserve capacities are best. With lead acid or AGM, get the biggest that will fit. I’m not familiar with lithium sizes. But bigger is better.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

10. Member
    Go to Sams and get a Duracell AGM group 27. They are 20$ off right now which makes them 140 bucks and you won’t have to worry about maintenance. Plenty of CCA’s and will give you good reserve power for running all of your accessories. You won’t draw the battery down as much in a day which in theory should extend the life of the battery.

11. Member
    Very miniumal. I put a choke on. Not to bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    How bad is the interference with it connected to the trolling battery?
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

12. Member
    Get the group 31 battery duracell AGM, I bought three and they are bad ass and on sale for 159
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. Member
    I had to jump my boat this morning. I have the one your asking about. It has a lot of juice for cranking but two seasons of my depthfinder has taken its toll. It will not power the electronics for a few hours without depleting the battery. Great cranking battery but a poor deep cycle battery. I am going to either buy a group 24 interstate AGM from academy or upgrade to a group 31 sams duracell. Both of those are dual purpose batteries.

14. Banned
    Any 24 group is very small for a cranking battery. If you have room go get a bigger battery.

15. Member
    ive ran group 24 starting batteries for years ,never had a problem.Just make sure cranking amps are whats needed

16. Member
    old motors do not charge agm's properly I have read many. many times?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    do yourself a favor and get a duracell at sams (this coming from a interstate dealer)
    That is what I did this morning. Went to academy first to look at the group 24 agm and it had been on the shelf for well over a year.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I had to jump my boat this morning. I have the one your asking about. It has a lot of juice for cranking but two seasons of my depthfinder has taken its toll. It will not power the electronics for a few hours without depleting the battery. Great cranking battery but a poor deep cycle battery. I am going to either buy a group 24 interstate AGM from academy or upgrade to a group 31 sams duracell. Both of those are dual purpose batteries.
    Great post about this battery. For years I have been telling people that reserve capacity is the most overlooked battery specification on boat cranking batteries. At 1000 cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps the Interstate 24XHD has sufficient power but where it lacks is the 135 minutes of reserve capacity. I know we are talking a group 24 battery and they typically have small reserve so this is the reason most people would benefit going up in group size because a bigger battery can store more reserve energy. Reserve is exactly what it is...its stored power. When the big motor is off and your running multiple graphs/gps, livewell pumps and cycling shallow water anchors, you need a battery with a lot more than 25 amps @ 135 minutes. I prefer a cranking battery with 1000 cranking and 800 cold cranking but also at least 200 minutes of reserve capacity.

People often mention names and recommend X or Y battery but they don't say anything about the specifications. A prime example is Optima makes a good quality battery that has the reputation for lasting several years but if you look at the specifications most of their batteries has less than 175 minutes of reserve. They are still excellent quality but they lack stored energy. People recommend them based on their long life but unknowingly they are recommending a battery with mediocre stored energy.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Great post about this battery. For years I have been telling people that reserve capacity is the most overlooked battery specification on boat cranking batteries. At 1000 cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps the Interstate 24XHD has sufficient power but where it lacks is the 135 minutes of reserve capacity. I know we are talking a group 24 battery and they typically have small reserve so this is the reason most people would benefit going up in group size because a bigger battery can store more reserve energy. Reserve is exactly what it is...its stored power. When the big motor is off and your running multiple graphs/gps, livewell pumps and cycling shallow water anchors, you need a battery with a lot more than 25 amps @ 135 minutes. I prefer a cranking battery with 1000 cranking and 800 cold cranking but also at least 200 minutes of reserve capacity.

People often mention names and recommend X or Y battery but they don't say anything about the specifications. A prime example is Optima makes a good quality battery that has the reputation for lasting several years but if you look at the specifications most of their batteries has less than 175 minutes of reserve. They are still excellent quality but they lack stored energy. People recommend them based on their long life but unknowingly they are recommending a battery with mediocre stored energy.
    I used to run optimas and yes had them last over 9 years, but JR19 is right i went to the Duracell group 31 agm and what a difference due to the reserve capacity.. now they might not last as long as the optimas year wise but im not suffering for power at the end of a 12 hour day anymore.

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I used to run optimas and yes had them last over 9 years, but JR19 is right i went to the Duracell group 31 agm and what a difference due to the reserve capacity.. now they might not last as long as the optimas year wise but im not suffering for power at the end of a 12 hour day anymore.
    When it comes to what you get for your $ it will be hard to beat the Sam's Club group 31 Duracell...I run it's clone which is a Deka 8A31DTM. If you removed the stickers from my battery and put them on the Duracell you could not tell the difference. I don't know for a fact but I bet the same company makes then both.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast