Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buy anything but the Interstate battery! To say they're junk is an understatement.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

2. Member
    I know Mercury requires 800 cold cranking amps.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    Buy anything but the Interstate battery! To say they're junk is an understatement.

4. Member
    #Go to NAPA and get a battery that is a beast: Part #7234 or 7235 according to your posts, CA 1380, CCA 1125, Reserve 195, $159.99, 64#, and leave much lighter in the wallet! 36 month warranty as a bonus.

5. Member
    Just not true man.....I've never had one let me down.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    When it comes to what you get for your $ it will be hard to beat the Sam's Club group 31 Duracell...I run it's clone which is a Deka 8A31DTM. If you removed the stickers from my battery and put them on the Duracell you could not tell the difference. I don't know for a fact but I bet the same company makes then both.
    grabbed two Duracell 31DC series last week, on sale for $79

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    Just not true man.....I've never had one let me down.
    Seriously? You're the first person I've heard say this. I made the sever mistake in not upgrading or replacing my Interstate batteries and have to jump my boat every tournament when the last 1/2 hour is near. I'm already working on replacing the starting battery with an X2 from Batteries +.

Just so you know...I'm fishing tournaments from 6 AM - 3 PM. Running Lowrance Carbon 7&9" graphs, total scan, livewell on timer, and trim / jackplate. Never had these issues with any other battery brands before.

Next, I'll replace my trolling batteries with bigger / better NOT interstate batteries.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

I’ve never been a fan of interstate but my crankin battery is one (got a super deal and needed one right then. I was on a fishing trip). It’s about 5, maybe even 6 yrs old. I’m upgrading to a larger one, but probably not interstate.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    When it comes to what you get for your $ it will be hard to beat the Sam's Club group 31 Duracell...I run it's clone which is a Deka 8A31DTM. If you removed the stickers from my battery and put them on the Duracell you could not tell the difference. I don't know for a fact but I bet the same company makes then both.
    not a coincidence. Deka makes the Duracell brand. Duracell is the clone. Deka is the real deal.

10. Member
    I've been using the Interstate 27MXD for years without any issues. Runs my 3 graphs, live well and lights and plenty of left over at end of day. I'm thinking of going with the Duracell 31 AGM next time only because of the price.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Brand name is the least of factors to consider when selecting a battery.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

12. Member
    I must agree with this. Living in the North, I only get to tournament fish from May to the end of October. For 2 years in a row, brand new Interstates could not survive the full summer of tournament fishing that I put them through. They rarely lasted a full day of tournament fishing except for the first 2 1/2 months.

The only batteries I have had true success with are the Trojans, Deka, and I believe I currently have the X2 in my boat now. All of which were 31 series size and would give me a solid 3 years of fishing. Only 1 summer on the X2 battery but so far, it's doing it's job very well.

Good luck with your decision.

M

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMyles View Post
    I must agree with this. Living in the North, I only get to tournament fish from May to the end of October. For 2 years in a row, brand new Interstates could not survive the full summer of tournament fishing that I put them through. They rarely lasted a full day of tournament fishing except for the first 2 1/2 months.

The only batteries I have had true success with are the Trojans, Deka, and I believe I currently have the X2 in my boat now. All of which were 31 series size and would give me a solid 3 years of fishing. Only 1 summer on the X2 battery but so far, it's doing it's job very well.

Good luck with your decision.

M
    The fact that it is an Interstate is not what caused your failures. Buying a battery that did not meet the specifications that were needed by the demand that you put on your battery caused it.

Case in point lets talk about the battery that the OP asked about. 24M-XHD. Excellent cranking battery but a dismall deep cycle battery. If all you did was crank your motor this battery is an excellent choice. Treat it like a deep cycle or dual purpose and you will kill it and you will be on the water with a dead battery. I know because it happened to me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    not a coincidence. Deka makes the Duracell brand. Duracell is the clone. Deka is the real deal.
    Agreed, I have Deka AGM trolling batteries and they are probably the best batteries I have ever owned. I have a group 31 optima for a cranking battery and although it’s a dependable battery it lacks reserve capacity like has been mentioned. I will not buy anymore optimas.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    100% accurate. Bought my new boat last year and told dealer don’t even think of putting interstate junk in my boat
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Member
    I just got new Interstates. My last 2 sets I purchased lasted 5 years for each set. Not to shabby in my book.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    Go to Sams and get a Duracell AGM group 27. They are 20$ off right now which makes them 140 bucks and you won’t have to worry about maintenance. Plenty of CCA’s and will give you good reserve power for running all of your accessories. You won’t draw the battery down as much in a day which in theory should extend the life of the battery.
    All I see is the deep cycle version. Is that the once being used for the cranking battery also?

Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    All I see is the deep cycle version. Is that the once being used for the cranking battery also?
    AGMs are dual purpose and can be used for either deep cycle or cranking. The deep cycle Duracells are wet cell batteries, compare to Deka Marine Master. Compare the Duracell AGM to the Deka Intimidator.

I'd grab a group 31 if you can fit it. Cost isn't a lot more over a group 27 and you get even more insurance from a dead battery. As people always say, get the biggest battery you can fit and afford.

Here's the group 27: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/marine...lp_product_1_4

Here's the group 31: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_1
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Those Duracell AGM 31 batteries are listed at $180.00 near me in Sacramento :(. That’s a lot of mula for a battery and I don’t have a sams club membership only a Costco membership. Can someone buy a battery at Sam’s without being a member like on a one day thing? Only having a 18 month warranty is the other thing I have an issue with.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    old motors do not charge agm's properly I have read many. many times?
    where did you read this? Any one know anything about this phenomenon?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast