Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Crazy thing is people are financing for 20 years
    I saw a boat for sale the other day. It was a 10 year old Ranger and the ad said “25K, I’m just looking to pay off the note.” It shocked me that someone could owe that much after that long and I can’t imagine how much interest was paid in that time.
    Last edited by db220; 03-16-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I don’t know about Triton, but back when Champion was being killed off Ranger was in trouble as well. Many were in trouble back then, no gov’t bail outs.
    You guys dont know what your talking about. Ranger has never been in trouble. Their parent companies were, but because Ranger was solid and always doing well, they sold them to another investor. Ranger was never going bankrupt and was never struggling
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    You guys dont know what your talking about. Ranger has never been in trouble. Their parent companies were, but because Ranger was solid and always doing well, they sold them to another investor. Ranger was never going bankrupt and was never struggling
    Yep, Ranger has never been in trouble financially.

4. Member
    Talking about a used boat, Z21 for sale jackson ms @ bass pro. Now I understand they traded and probably kinda upside down in trade, But, this thing has been hung out to dry, couple or three years old, power poles would eat you alive, carpet a mess, poor condition at best, they are asking a DISCOUNTED price of 48K. Inside I saw one for 53K, something far askew there. Had advertised on paper inside 340 per month @ 240 months, really Damn
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Banned

You can read the first 2 sentences.

Last edited by grout-scout; 03-17-2019 at 08:50 AM.

When bass boat prices are now reaching a 90k plus I can see why there is a 30% drop. I got into a bass boat back in 2008 with a premium brand name with a 150hp motor for out the door price at 28k. That same boat today's is now 40k plus for same features. In my opinion bass boats has become a niche industry. To most you may disagree that's okay too.

What keeps me in the game at a similar price today is a Vexxus 1880 Tin boat. I'll have to probably go with a 115 HP motor and sure you can spend more for that boat but I'm not one that needs 3 to 4 10" graphs and I don't require power poles to put five in a live well. That boat has styling that appeals to me.

I'm adapting with no lamenting agenda. Quality tin will provide a great bass fishing alternative and acceptable as I enter fixed income retirement. 18'10" fishing deck is not bad and the reviews have been very positive running cruise speeds in heavy choppy. Detail is there too. Now I wait till August/September. Prefer 135 EtecG2 if it is announced and will wait a tad longer in hopes it released. If it's not than I go to plan "B" and consider 115 Merc 4 stroke.

Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Silas79 View Post
    You do Understand Morris kept the doors of these companies open and there would be no RANGER, TRITON, or LEGEND without him? Nobody else out there wanted to dump millions in to these failing companies and he did.
    Not bashing JM just making a point...there is no Legend with him

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    You can read the first 2 sentences.

Grout you need to read it. It says Genmar. Yea they owned Ranger and would have to include in a bankruptcy, but Ranger itself as a company was never in trouble. Thats why someone else bought it, because it was very profitable. My original post said the parent company was in trouble. Ill repeat myself, you guys still dont know what your talking about
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    When bass boat prices are now reaching a 90k plus I can see why there is a 30% drop. I got into a bass boat back in 2008 with a premium brand name with a 150hp motor for out the door price at 28k. That same boat today's is now 40k plus for same features. In my opinion bass boats has become a niche industry. To most you may disagree that's okay too.

What keeps me in the game at a similar price today is a Vexxus 1880 Tin boat. I'll have to probably go with a 115 HP motor and sure you can spend more for that boat but I'm not one that needs 3 to 4 10" graphs and I don't require power poles to put five in a live well. That boat has styling that appeals to me.

I'm adapting with no lamenting agenda. Quality tin will provide a great bass fishing alternative and acceptable as I enter fixed income retirement. 18'10" fishing deck is not bad and the reviews have been very positive running cruise speeds in heavy choppy. Detail is there too. Now I wait till August/September. Prefer 135 EtecG2 if it is announced and will wait a tad longer in hopes it released. If it's not than I go to plan "B" and consider 115 Merc 4 stroke.

Tight lines!
    I call total BS......you can get many great glass rigs in the 18 ft segment for a very similar price to 2008....ie Ranger z185 starting at 34 k....Triton tr189 32k etc etc.....

its when you add 15000 in poles and graphs that the price goes up......even the cheapest graphs today are better than anything from 2008....

10. Banned
    Not worth arguing about, every boat manufacturer was in bad shape back then. Even Ranger...

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    I call total BS......you can get many great glass rigs in the 18 ft segment for a very similar price to 2008....ie Ranger z185 starting at 34 k....Triton tr189 32k etc etc.....

its when you add 15000 in poles and graphs that the price goes up......even the cheapest graphs today are better than anything from 2008....

The problem comes when you make that 18’ boat 2’ longer to be a 20’er, that is when they dog pile you. There’s no justification in their pricing. I might be wrong but I don’t remember the huge price difference in the 2’ that there is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post

Call BS all you want. You will not walk out the door at that price. To each their own.

That rig you are talking about doesn't even come close to what I purchased back in 2008. I had fiberglas fenders, custom built trailer, step and pole, jack plate and dual graphs with batteries. that's a 7k difference. Drink your own Kool Aide! At best water down kool aide.

I'll take a 115HP Vexxus over that all day long for much less. Oh, 7k today difference somehow doesn't qualify? Be careful of the BS comment. You are stepping in it.

Now step up to a 19" bass boat and calculate the cost for one extra foot. Yikes!

For some that boat you speak of will satisfy many. Good for them. I'm sure it will be just fine.
    Last edited by deepanchor; 03-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas79 View Post
    You do Understand Morris kept the doors of these companies open and there would be no RANGER, TRITON, or LEGEND without him? Nobody else out there wanted to dump millions in to these failing companies and he did.
    I'm really not hating. I don't disagree with you, but I think as the market dwindles, and one person is left with the monopoly it isn't good. We aren't there yet. I think competition is healthy, and it is true that not everyone survives. Sporting goods and power toys specifically suffer with U.S. economic downturn. I don't plan on buying a brand new boat until MAYBE when I retire (In about 30 years hopefully) so we will see who is around then. I'm assuming the boats will catch the fish for you by then and I can spend my time troubleshooting all of the gadgets on this forum which will probably look exactly the same.
    I have a boat.

14. Member
    If you want a glass boat with a 150 hp, then this might be a good starting point.

https://www.nitro.com/2019-z-series-bass-boats/z18.html

Nothing wrong with a Vexus at all, but the way your post is worded it seems like you prefer a glass boat over a tin boat.

15. Member
    Grout you need to read it. It says Genmar. Yea they owned Ranger and would have to include in a bankruptcy, but Ranger itself as a company was never in trouble. Thats why someone else bought it, because it was very profitable. My original post said the parent company was in trouble. Ill repeat myself, you guys still dont know what your talking about
    Ranger could not pay it's bills. Suppliers lost millions they never recovered. You might make the case that the other Genmar brands pulled Ranger down with them, and Ranger would have been fine if not attached to Genmar, but Ranger was facing millions in floorplan buybacks like all other boat companies in that period. I know people who never recovered money owed them by Ranger, so to say they were fine financially is disingenuous.

16. Member
    Triton 18TRX with a 200 4/s Mercury 4'' shy of 19ft, nationally advertised at less than $38,000.

Ranger most likely will never suffer in the White River Marine Group. Platinum Equity is the group that purchased it from bankruptcy and formed Fish Boat Holdings.

There is a lengthy bankruptcy record of the LLC filed first on the same day as General Motors. Each LLC filed independently and those records are or were public. Mercury, Lowrance, Textron and many others took it on the chin in that individual bankruptcy. GenMar Tennessee was a separate bankruptcy filing, under the GenMar umbrella. We retained the records.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Ranger could not pay it's bills. Suppliers lost millions they never recovered. You might make the case that the other Genmar brands pulled Ranger down with them, and Ranger would have been fine if not attached to Genmar, but Ranger was facing millions in floorplan buybacks like all other boat companies in that period. I know people who never recovered money owed them by Ranger, so to say they were fine financially is disingenuous.
    Respectfully that boat is classified as a 18' boat. What the increased cost for there bare bones 19'
    boat?

If the banks went to 5 year max financing prices would come down... boggles my mind how a business minded person would finance one of the most highly depreciable assets you can own for more than 5 years.? My opinion.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    Respectfully that boat is classified as a 18' boat. What the increased cost for there bare bones 19'
    boat?
    Meant for someone else?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast