Metanium for cranking

All of my casting reels are Metanium MGL’s except for one Chronarch MGL. It is used for cranking. I’m always looking to eke out a little more distance with my cranking set up. Does anyone with knowledge of both know if I can get greater distance with the Metanium than a Chronarch MGL?

Yes Metanium typically will perform better than Chronarch but I don't advise the HG or XG to be used in a cranking scenario 6:1 ok but the 7 and 8:1 aluminum gears wear quickly. You can swap out gears to brass and that will make them better but do you wanna do that in a $420 right off? Your other option is Bantam MGL, this is a much better cranking option and it CASTS! Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Yes Metanium typically will perform better than Chronarch but I don't advise the HG or XG to be used in a cranking scenario 6:1 ok but the 7 and 8:1 aluminum gears wear quickly. You can swap out gears to brass and that will make them better but do you wanna do that in a $420 right off? Your other option is Bantam MGL, this is a much better cranking option and it CASTS! Dan
    This! I love my Mets but the Bantam really does shine as an excellent crankbait reel. Crankbaits and Spinner baits for the Bantam and everything else I use the Mets.

4. Member
    I just bought a metanium mgl 6:2:1 for my spinnerbait/chatterbait rod. This has me rethinking that. Might have to trade it for an HG and just use it for jigs and get a bantam for moving baits.