Ultrex Spot Lock observation and question

I bought my Ultrex during November 2017. It was one of the first ones. My spot lock does ok but seems to wonder around a lot. I thought that is the way it is suppose to be until last weekend. I was on a new boat that had a new Ultrex and was fishing the same waters. It was much tighter in holding the spot than mine. It was not wondering around as much. At least it seemed that way to me.

My question is whether or not there is a way to upgrade the software or upgrade something else on my older first year trolling motor to improve spot lock performance?

2. Member
    If you have an android or I-phone down load the Minn Kota I-pilot app. then pair the phone and the troll motor, Open the app and it will tell you if an update is available. If the update has never been done it should be done. Follow the instructions. The update will also update the remote also. Instruction are on the Minn Kota web site.

3. Member
    Check/test boat scale setting.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=807824

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tnbassin View Post
    I bought my Ultrex during November 2017. It was one of the first ones. My spot lock does ok but seems to wonder around a lot. I thought that is the way it is suppose to be until last weekend. I was on a new boat that had a new Ultrex and was fishing the same waters. It was much tighter in holding the spot than mine. It was not wondering around as much. At least it seemed that way to me.

My question is whether or not there is a way to upgrade the software or upgrade something else on my older first year trolling motor to improve spot lock performance?
    Did you do the initial setup where you drive the boat in a circle and all that?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Did you do the initial setup where you drive the boat in a circle and all that?
    Yes, I paired the heading sensor, did the boat calibration (2 circles) and set the boat scale.

Try a differnt setting on the scale
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Boat scale will fix it. I actually move the scale on mine based on how windy it is

8. Member
    ^^ Boat scale is the ticket!

9. Member
    There could be several external conditions which could make it seem different such as winds and whether it was identical settings as yours but would look at boat scale settings as mentioned. There have only been 3 software updates since Jan2017 and nothing mentioned in their descriptions related to improving spotlock performance.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    I should have mentioned that my boat is a 2017 Ranger RT188C. It is a lightweight aluminum crappie boat that floats high with all the foam Ranger puts in it. It gets blown around a lot with the wind. Anyone on here poor like me and own an aluminum boat with an Ultrex mounted on it? What scale do you have yours set at?

11. Member
    Nothing wrong with a Ranger RT188 boat. But, there are only 5 settings (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2). If your TM is overpowering, then go negative. If underpowering or struggling to keep up, go positive. May want to change depending on boat load, winds, and currents.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow