No warning horn on first crank of the day

The last 3 times I have taken the boat out this week the warning horn does not sound on the initial crank. It sounds off on all others during the day but not that first one. The vessel view mobile does not show any faults. Motor still runs great. Has anyone else had that?

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

2. Member
    Oh boy. You are a smart guy to put your motor info in your signature. At first I thought you would get a nasty note. I might do the same thing.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

3. Member
    My 225 does the same thing. Not every time, but when it does it’s on the first start of the day. No faults on Smartcraft and everything checked out fine with the 20 hour service. I called Mercury customer service and was told that if there was a problem it should show up as a fault. It’s very unpredictable and I’ve found no way to duplicate it on demand, it just does it sometimes. If I don’t get the beep, I turn the key off and back on and I get the beep. As you said it’s the first start of the day. I have an X2 1150 cca battery so that shouldn’t be the issue.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

4. Member
    You should not have pointed it out and let Don take the bait ;)

5. Member
    Mine does the same.....wonder if there’s anything to it?

Yeah, I just went out and turned the key without cranking it and the horn sounded so I am not going to worry about it unless I get a fault on the vessel view mobile. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

7. Member
    Mine doesn't sound the horn if you turn the key on right after you operate the trim. Try operating the trim then immediately after turn the key on. I'm guessing yours is the same way.

8. Member
    I have also noticed the beep missing from time to time. I just tested the trim theory and it proves true for me. If I turn the key immediately after operating the trim, it does not beep.

This make sense as I have the habit (probably bad habit) of turning the motor over while I'm still trimming down.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warhogz24 View Post
    Mine doesn't sound the horn if you turn the key on right after you operate the trim. Try operating the trim then immediately after turn the key on. I'm guessing yours is the same way.
    Good catch! I went out and ran the trim then immediately turned the key on. No beep. Turned the key off and back on and got the beep. At least I know how to duplicate it now. Thanks for posting your findings.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    Good catch! I went out and ran the trim then immediately turned the key on. No beep. Turned the key off and back on and got the beep. At least I know how to duplicate it now. Thanks for posting your findings.
    Agreed!....mine is the same which explains why it would not on the first crank

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

11. Member
    300r- My beep is intermittent also....I will be testing this theory, thanks!

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have heard some reports of this- and replicated it a couple of times also. "Seems" to be only when key is rapidly cycled to the start position (but can definitely see the potential of the "trim" scenario described).

Most of the ones I've had here if you turned the key to ON for 2 seconds prior to starting (without cycling other switches) the horn sounded normally.

It's a completely different PCM from engines of days gone by, so will be keeping an eye on this scenario to see what we can learn.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Have heard some reports of this- and replicated it a couple of times also. "Seems" to be only when key is rapidly cycled to the start position (but can definitely see the potential of the "trim" scenario described).

Most of the ones I've had here if you turned the key to ON for 2 seconds prior to starting (without cycling other switches) the horn sounded normally.

It's a completely different PCM from engines of days gone by, so will be keeping an eye on this scenario to see what we can learn.
    This is what I have noticed as well, many of us are setting in the boat as a partner launches us and in a single action we turn the key all the way to crank position and start the motor with no delay at key on. Thus it instantly sees a rpm signal and does not alarm.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    My 250 ProXS does this also. If you turn the key off then on again it will sound. Been testing this for the last few days while at Chickamauga.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

Mine is the same, I’ll try the trim deal tomorrow
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

16. Member
    Tested my 2018 Cougar with 250 ProXS 4S this weekend. Mine wouldn't beep after trimming down then turning key, it would beep if I didn't trim down. In both cases I waited about 2 seconds before turning key.

17. Member
    My 250 Pro XS 4S does the same thing. Seems to be something to the trim theory.

18. Member
    Same here with the 2019 200 HP ProXS 4S. My vessel view showed that there was a low voltage warning about the same time (right after trim adjustment and subsequent start attempt). Its a brand new Triton and Mercury with a huge AGM Interstate starting battery showing 14+ Volts when running and 12.5 when fishing around. Perhaps right after the trim adjust there is a lag in the voltage data sent to the engine and it thinks there is low voltage resulting from the pull of juice after the trim action...(you gotta make sure the prop is in the water before you start so it is kind of a habit after I launch to lower the tilt to where it switches to trim at least). Just my opinion and I am certainly no Mercury technician... but I am in awe of this motor though!