Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally getting away and need help

2018 was the worst year in over 20 for me to get some fishing time. Not one multiday trip the whole year. Well, I am making up for that by starting my first trip ever to SML. I am renting a house on the lake March 25 thru the 29 and would really like some assistance on patterns and just any overall information about the lake and area surrounding.

No need to post secrets here but if you want to DM any hints or suggestion it would be much appreciated. In exchange, I could provide some Lake Erie information and hints as I have many years on the lake and have figured out a few secrets.

~mark

2. Member
    Wow I guess Virginia doesn't like visitors

If I could provide some help I would.

SML keeps me stumped most days
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

4. Member
    much appreciated

5. Member
    Have never fished at SML. I wish you the best. Nice scenery up there.
    Semper Fi

6. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    I would stay downlake and I would run main and secondary points the entire time, especially windblown ones. I wouldn't go much further up the roanoke then the bridge and I wouldn't go further up blackwater then the First S turn near lucky islands. A jerkbait and a jig with some crankbait mixed in should do you good. For a crankbait something like a spro little john or a rapala shad rap are gonna be your best bet. The fish should be pulling up in waves if we get some warmer weather next week
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Spinning gear and a TRD in that 1 color.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

8. Member
    don't get to fish sml much but i'd just fish a bunch of points and docks.

also check out www.va-outdoors.com there is a whole forum for SML...

PM Sent.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Thanks all for the info, I am excited to get there and see what I can do. New type of lake for me so hoping to learn, learn, learn. I am staying in a house just north of 122 so it wounds like I need to head south. I will post results, hopefully good results. thanks again to all

11. Member
    It is happening, I am actually going to get away. I should be arriving around Sunday late afternoon. I am looking forward to a week of relaxing and trying to figure out the lakes. Thanks to the few that have provided me a starting point. I will post as time permits.

~mark

Enjoy

13. Member
    Well, the first day was kind of a bust. one nice 4-5 lber on a stupid crappie jig (partner was trying for some crappie when the bass busted bait near by). Ran from R8 to R62. What a beautiful lake you have here. Now if we can just figure it out. We didn't see any activity at all way up north (no baitfish or anything busting the water) halfway back in the coves around the bridge had a bunch of bait fish and activity but we could not get anything to bite.

Fingers crossed we figure it out before Thursday went we have to head back to work.

Once you go under the bridge I have never had much luck, only piece of advice I should have given you

Someone may say different but that's been my experience. Other than Stripers

15. Member
    Do you mean north of the bridge? I am staying in a house north of the bridge.

Yes, north of Hales Ford bridge up river. Haven't had much luck LM, Stripers a different story

17. Member
    Ok, Thanks! We are staying in Stoney creek and that is where we caught our one and only today. Although, we had quite a show off and on for about an hour of the stripers chasing bait. It is amazing how fast they are when they go after the bait.

Take some time and target Stripers. It's a blast if you can find em

19. Member
    Don’t be afraid to toss the A Rig on out there everywhere if water temps are still in the 50s. If temps are in upper 50s low 60s don’t be afraid to pick up the buzz air in the morning or all day if cloudy and rainy and just run riprap banks and little creek pockets. Crankbaits on points and riprap (which I know is everywhere) leading into pockets can be great.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakekups88 View Post
    Don’t be afraid to toss the A Rig on out there everywhere if water temps are still in the 50s. If temps are in upper 50s low 60s don’t be afraid to pick up the buzz air in the morning or all day if cloudy and rainy and just run riprap banks and little creek pockets. Crankbaits on points and riprap (which I know is everywhere) leading into pockets can be great.
    Thanks Jake! I do not own an A-rig as I mostly fish Ohio and laws and lack of any good fishing doesn't require me to own one. I appreciate the info and I have a couple of great guys DMing some good tips as well that fall right in line with yours. I am not going to let the size of this lake and how beautiful every spot looks get me today. I have found some good pockets of baitfish and I am going to let that dictate where I fish. I will use the information provided by everyone that has been kind enough to share to get some bites today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast