Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senko spinning rod set up

I have a Daiwa Revros 3000 spinning reel/rod set up. I want to use it exclusively for Senkos (Wacky style & Texas Rigged). Basically I fish the Senko in open water, mainly clear and occasionally cast it up next to a weed line but 99% of the time, I am throwing it in open water probably in the average range between 3' & 20' deep. What do you recommend for line choices? I was going to go with Power Pro 30 Lb test hi vis yellow but not sure the hi vis yellow is a good choice. Never really fished a Senko alot using a leader on the end of the braid nor have I used straight mono or fluoro as my Senko line. Always threw straight braid. Please help me out here on what works best in my fishing style (Water clarity, open water, 3' - 20' water depth etc.) I have a hard time tying a leader onto my braid, tho I can do it, it takes me awhile (On my Dropshot Rod) so thinking maybe straight Fluorocarbon but want some ideas and recommendations.

High vis braid is absolutely imperative for Senko fishing in my opinion. This is due to bites that are rarely seen or felt. Instead, you just end up with the bait swimming off which you see much easier with that high vis braid instead of something else. I've told this story multiple times on this board, but I think it's relevant here: I first used high vis braid when fishing a weightless fluke. I was absolutely blown away by how many more fish I caught by just seeing my line start swimming and setting the hook without feeling for the fish. They apparently were dropping it way more than I thought when I was feeling for them. Senko bites are just the same.

Braid is also really useful for reducing line twist, and allows you to cast further than mono or fluoro.

Personally I like lighter braid - I shoot for 0.15 mm diameter, the lb test varies depending on manufacturer - but that's all just preference. I also like a fluoro leader, 10 feet long or so. The length makes it cast better since it has momentum when the knot goes through the guides, and it means you don't have to retie leaders as often. Just a lot more confidence with a leader not being visible to the fish to whatever extent that actually matters, plus it helps fishing in the wind as the leader won't sail like straight braid will do. Lighter braid helps with sailing as well. I like 7 lb Sunline Sniper as my leader on those setups (drop shot, Neko, and Ned as well).

I've experimented with a lot of knots (and there are many threads here about them). For me, the knot Shin Fukae uses is the best choice. Very easy to tie, thin, and strong. I've heard it called the Lazy Alberto, but just searching YouTube for "Shin Fukae leader knot" will get you there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    I have a Daiwa Revros 3000 spinning reel/rod set up. I want to use it exclusively for Senkos (Wacky style & Texas Rigged). Basically I fish the Senko in open water, mainly clear and occasionally cast it up next to a weed line but 99% of the time, I am throwing it in open water probably in the average range between 3' & 20' deep. What do you recommend for line choices? I was going to go with Power Pro 30 Lb test hi vis yellow but not sure the hi vis yellow is a good choice. Never really fished a Senko alot using a leader on the end of the braid nor have I used straight mono or fluoro as my Senko line. Always threw straight braid. Please help me out here on what works best in my fishing style (Water clarity, open water, 3' - 20' water depth etc.) I have a hard time tying a leader onto my braid, tho I can do it, it takes me awhile (On my Dropshot Rod) so thinking maybe straight Fluorocarbon but want some ideas and recommendations.
    I dont use leaders. 15-20-30 pound is overkill. I use 8 pound Nanofil(not a braid) mainly, at times try new 8 pound braids that come out but return to Nanofil. Nanofil is more sensitive than any braid(lots of them) I have tried.

4. Member
    I use 8lb daiwa jbraid x8 chartreuse with 8lb tatsu leader. The bright line helps see bites

5. Member
    I use 10lb suffix 832 hi vis. I tried 30 lb but my casting distance is much better with 10lb.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Member
    My wife is a wacky rig pro.

She uses a piece of crap combo with no-name 10# braid and sometimes a leader. But always uses Yamamoto Senko.
    You need to be on the rear deck, on your smart phone texting, checking email, and surfing your favorite facebook pages.
    Later in the day you will need to be having some sort of adult beverage with a floppy sun hat on and listening to the latest country music. Maybe even taking a nap.
    Out fishes me all day long...
    IMG_2107(1).jpg

Same here

8. Member
    I throw a stick bait on bait casting equipment. I don't know why every body wants to use spinning equipment for a stick bait? way more control and cast just fine

9. Member
    I use a spinning reel because the line comes off a spinning reel a lot easier. So when the bait is free falling you don't have to feed line off.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I use a spinning reel because the line comes off a spinning reel a lot easier. So when the bait is free falling you don't have to feed line off.
    Yep, this. Plus I can cast it significantly further with a spinning rod. I have to believe being able to cast something further with a (properly sized) spinning rod than with a baitcasting rod is universal across fishermen - definitely not more accurately or more efficiently, but further for sure. I've always figured these two things are why saltwater fishing that involves casting (non fly-gear) is done almost exclusively with spinning equipment.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I throw a stick bait on bait casting equipment. I don't know why every body wants to use spinning equipment for a stick bait? way more control and cast just fine
    This!

12. Member
    Easier to skip when you come up on an overhand or dock.

I keep it simple with 8lb Yozuri Hybrid for my Senkos in open water and cover. I fish lot of clear water or I would go with Hi Viz braid

14. Member
    Same here

15. Member
    10lbs 832 ghost braid line tied with 7 feet of 6 lbs yo-zuri leader is all I need.

16. Banned
    heavier stickbaits, baitcast..........lighter stickbaits, spinning.

17. Member
    I only use spinning rods for senkos. To me it’s a lot more accurate, sensitive, and can cast farther. If I was you I’d go with 15lb Power Pro either green or hi vis yellow. I prefer green and you can see the line jump just as well as yellow. If you’re fishing open water with sparse grass I highly recommend a fluorocarbon leader. Try tying an Alberto know and I guarantee within 5 tries you’ll be a master at it. As for fluorocarbon line, I really like Berkley 100% floro in 8lb test. It’s more abrasion resistant than Seaguar Invisx, cheaper than Invisx and holds a knot better.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    <snip> As for fluorocarbon line, I really like Berkley 100% floro in 8lb test. It’s more abrasion resistant than Seaguar Invisx, cheaper than Invisx and holds a knot better.
    Be careful with this stuff...it's definitely really strong for a given lb test, but it's also a lot thicker than others! The 8 lb is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't catch fish on a drop shot. That ended up being the reason. I also think that's why it seems so strong - they've taken 12 lb line and rated it at 8.

That said, I don't think it's a problem with a Senko. Just something to be aware of if you're using it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Be careful with this stuff...it's definitely really strong for a given lb test, but it's also a lot thicker than others! The 8 lb is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't catch fish on a drop shot. That ended up being the reason. I also think that's why it seems so strong - they've taken 12 lb line and rated it at 8.

That said, I don't think it's a problem with a Senko. Just something to be aware of if you're using it.
    well that could be why my dropshot catch rate plummeted since last year thanks for the heads up! Looks like I’ll be buying seaguar or sunline for my finesse rods!
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    My senko rod is basically the same as my dropshot rod. (spinning) I went with yellow 15# p/p last year and liked it. I tie on a swivel and then floro leader about 6' long. Works for me.
    Wave Therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast