Pro xs 250 4 stroke prop change ?

MemberJoin DateDec 2018LocationGeorgetown, KyPosts7

Pro XS 4 Stroke prop swap question

Can anyone tell me why changing the prop on the new 4 stroke requires it to be hooked to the Mercury software at a dealer? I have a spare 24p Fury that I wanted to try on my z521c that is currently running a 23p and and hitting 6180 rpms. Id just like to give the 24p a try but have been told that is not advisable without having a dealer make the change? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    Fake news.

#fake. Run it. If you're turning 6180 with a 23, the 24 should put you around +/- 5900. That's within the wide open range & you shouldn't have any issues
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 03-14-2019 at 08:30 PM.

4. Member
    Possible but I would be curious. The 4S V8's will hold your RPM around 6200 to keep it from over reving. It's possible it might actually free up HP. I had that happen going from 24P to 25P on my Phoenix. Was all over the 6200 mark with the 24P, but 6100-6150 or so with the 25P.

5. Member
    Great! Thanks for the quick responses guys!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Mercury's recommendation IS that the engine be run, with whatever prop is being tried, ON THE COMPUTER DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. This method permits verification of demand and load values so that the suitability can be determined quickly and accurately.

It is still possible to utilize traditional "prop try" methods, just keep in mind that you would want your engine in the upper end of the recommended WOT RPM's in these cooler months. A propeller that drops you to the lower end may put you BELOW target as temps become warmer.

Just a suggestion... to think on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don! Still new to the forums. Very much appreciate the input!!