NOCO charger question

I put a NOCO 3 bank charger on my Nitro last year and worked great all season. However this winter it was showing all green but was still charging one of my batteries to a point it boiled dry. I refilled the battery and recharged with another charger then hooked back up to the NOCO. It shows green but it's still charging that battery to the point of bubbling and not stopping. Wondering if the battery is damaged beyond use? A load test shows it's marginal. The batteries are 29 series deep cycle Exide. Thanks for any suggestions.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The charger likely is staying on because the battery went bad. Try swapping charger banks.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I had a NOCO 2 bank charger ruin two batteries boiling them dry before figuring out the charger was bad and not the battery. NOCO replaced the charger and so far the replacement has worked ok, but if you look at the Amazon reviews, the NOCO chargers are notorious for doing this. Click on the reviews and search the word "boil." There are several people who have had NOCO chargers boil batteries that are fully charged to the point of ruining them. I would switch banks and see if one of the other banks will charge it properly. In my case, the first battery it boiled dry was a year and a half old Autocraft deep cycle so I thought it was the battery. Bought a new battery, same brand, hooked it up and that particular bank would always show red and never stop charging. I switched banks and the other bank charged the battery for about 3 minutes before turning green. NOCO had me send the charger to them so they could test before sending a new charger, which I wasn't too happy with. Was out of a charger for about 3 weeks. Whenever this one goes out, I'll be replacing with a different brand.

5. Member
    take the charger to battery mart if you have one. They will test the charger and NOCO will replace it if BM confirms that it is bad. I have had 3 go bad. On my 4th one, but only paid for the first one 5 years ago.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVTERP View Post
    take the charger to battery mart if you have one. They will test the charger and NOCO will replace it if BM confirms that it is bad. I have had 3 go bad. On my 4th one, but only paid for the first one 5 years ago.
    3 out of 4 have gone bad in 5 years? Those are not good numbers. The Dual Pro that came with my boat lasted 12 years before it kicked the bucket. Probably go back to Dual Pro once this NOCO dies and I'm sure it will.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some more testing but sounds like a charger problem.

This thread is discouraging. Just purchased a 3 bank about 2 months ago

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

9. Member
    You only hear about the bad ones. Maybe check on it more often than normal till you are confident. Also maybe don't leave it on long term.

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Leaving charger oowered on continuously applying a proper charging algorithm is best for lead acids..... the better chargers will cost more than the Nocos but will not have high failure rates and not then cause permanent battery damage.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-16-2019 at 09:36 PM.

11. Member
    Yea... first one took a set of batteries with it. The other 2 have just had one bank go bad on them. Guy at battery mart though has said I am the only customer that has ever had one go bad... let alone 3. They are plugged in all the time Sometimes for months on end. I keep the boat at the lake about 125 miles from me.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

There is none better than the noco and they are definitely on the high end price wise, Just my not so humble opinion. I have used there chargers on multiple applications for and never had one fail me yet. I have saved several batteries that were tested and thought to be junk statues

Now that I have said that, mine may next month
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    There is none better than the noco and they are definitely on the high end price wise, Just my not so humble opinion. I have used there chargers on multiple applications for and never had one fail me yet. I have saved several batteries that were tested and thought to be junk statues

Now that I have said that, mine may next month
    Price wise they have always been on the low end. Only the store brands are cheaper.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    A few years ago, Bass Cat replaced Noco by Minn Kota PC as standard issue in their premium boats because of dependability issues with the Noco.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S