Pro XS 4 Stroke prop swap question

Can anyone tell me why changing the prop on the new 4 stroke requires it to be hooked to the Mercury software at a dealer? I have a spare 24p Fury that I wanted to try on my z521c that is currently running a 23p and and hitting 6180 rpms. Id just like to give the 24p a try but have been told that is not advisable without having a dealer make the change? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    May want to post this o the 4stroke forum I would be interested to know the answer also.

3. Member
    Shouldn't need to hook it up if your tach is working.

4. Member
    Never heard that. I just switched out on my new 4s no problem and ran fine

5. Member
    That is what I have read about the new 4 strokes. The computers controlling the motor are all based on the prop programming. Seems this has not become common knowledge yet and why some people are having trouble propping out their boats. Not all dealers are up to speed on the new motor. No pun intended. The 200 comes with a 23 pitch as does the 250. That didn’t happen before.

6. Member
    I was told you can switch props around until you get the one that is performing "best" for you and then your Merc dealer can do an on the water test with you and the computer to ensure the engine is running 100% (not throttle position.. that can eb done in the shop) with the prop you have chosen. Apparently the engine does some power manipulation (i assume more if underpropped) to keep you in the desired rpm band.

8. Member
    The motor does NOT have to be hooked to a computer, when changing to different props.

You don’t need to. The only thing you got to do with a different prop is make a few wide open passes so the pcm relearns it torque and rpm curve. It’s like all the new cars today that adapt to the drivers driving condition
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade