Proper Lag Bolt Size and Staples for New Bunks

I’ve seen several posts on this topic elsewhere on the internet. I’m looking to put new bunks on my trailer. I mostly boat in the Tidal Potomac / Upper Chesapeake Bay so I need something that will withstand some salt content in the water. What is the best size lag bolt for bunks (stainless) - do I need a washer? What about staples - what size and type should I get for the new carpet (Monel).

Can all of this be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot - or do I need to order online from a trailer shop. Trying to knock this out this weekend.
    Last edited by R1Peacock; 03-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    I would use the largest bolt that fits the bracket hole.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    I used stainless lags crews from Home Depot the zinc coated ones were a little corroded and worked loose.
    i used roofing nails and cut strips of vinyl flooring since my trailer is outside with no boat most of the time.
    used washers and lock washers

New wood: SS lag bolts with SS washer and lock washer. I use 1 1/2" x 5/16 dia (leaves room for a 3/8 dia if one strips out in the future)
    If reusing wood: one size larger dia bolts than existing.
    Staples: definitely go with monel and check Arrow web site. They used to have a guide chart for staple length based on materials being used.
    Will also highly suggest a power stapler, either electric (AC or battery) or air. Your hand will thank you and makes for a much better job imo.
    Most items should be available locally, but check ahead for stock of Monel staples

5. Banned
    I would go Carriage bolts with nylocks and recess the head.

6. Member
    If replacing bunks and putting lag bolts from the top...actually you would have to come from the bottom with lag bolts, you'll have to ensure the bolt tips don't come through.
    If using nuts and bolts, you will need a Forstner bit to counterbore the bunks.
    I have seen significant damage when any part of steel comes through the bunk carpet.
    Check your bunk supports before you start, some get really rusted.