Thread: 1980 Test Drive

Question 1980 Test Drive

Considering making the move from a glass Ranger to Vexus aluminum so I went and drove a 1980 and overall was very impressed. Love the large front deck. Sits up a little higher in the front than I'm used to but I think after fishing out of it a few times I wouldn't notice. Think I might even start liking the fact that you can see down in the water a little better if that makes sense. Boat handled and drove great. Quick Hole Shot. 55 mph with the 150 Merc 4 stroke. Not a speedster but that's plenty fast for me. The issue of the front blowing around in the wind I believe would be minimal. Yes it may move around a little more than my ranger but it was not that noticeable and with the Ultrex and Power Poles its something I think I could live with. The storage layout is different than what I'm used to but I could get used to that and there's plenty of it. Fit and finish is superb. Vexus folks certainly are building a great product. I was virtually sold until I noticed one particular disadvantage. The boat I drove had been sitting out on the lot and it had rained and the dealer had also washed it down to get the pollen off of it. Every storage compartment on the boat except the 3 fiberglass storage compartments was wet inside. After the test drive I went back to the dealership and looked at some other Vexus boats on the lot and the other couple that were uncovered all were wet in the storage boxes, rod boxes etc. I know tin boats are famous for this but I thought it would be a little different on the Vexus. Of all the things I love about the boat I'm afraid I can't get past this one issue. So for all you new owners.....what has been your experience with this issue? Or how big of an issue has it been for you? If you are used to that kind of thing I suppose it's not that big of a deal. I'm trying hard to get past it because I love the boat otherwise. A little moisture here and there I could tolerate but these compartments were wet wet. The front compartment on the drivers side in front of the Ice chest compartment had 2 or 3 inches of water in it. It has been raining a ton but I thought that was a little much. I'm not trying to compare my Ranger to this boat because that's not apples to apples but I have fished in a monsoon many times and never had a drop of water in the storage so I guess that's why its an issue for me. Please give me your honest opinions and thoughts on this issue? Is it that big a deal for you new owner guys? How do you get around it? Really love the boat but this one thing disappoints me. Thanks

That's a bummer, was hoping they had this fixed as my RT 188 gets wet. Will wait and see for a year and see what the fix is or I may have to go back to a glass boat for my next one.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

4. Banned
    Boxes stay dry in the Lund pro-v series boats.

5. Member
    My boat sits outside in my driveway but it always has the cover on it when I’m not using it. Maybe what your noticing is condensation that builds up, not sure. It’s has rained here a lot this winter and mine stays dry under the cover.

"The front compartment on the drivers side in front of the Ice chest compartment had 2 or 3 inches of water in it." That's a lot of condensation.

This is something you here about on a lot of the tin boats. Not uncommon and obviously unexpected on a boat that "Changes Everything".

I'm sure Vexus will tweek things to get this resolved. Could be as simple as a better gasket.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 03-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.

7. Member
    I'm sure Condensation was partly to blame with the humid weather. I even see a tiny bit of that in Glass boats in humid weather..... but I'm fairly certain that rain water was what caused the issue I'm talking about. The boxes all have some kind of gasket...although some are thicker than others but the carpet in the bottom of the boxes was not damp....it was soppin wet.

8. Member
    Ive had mine in the rain and havent noticed any moisture in my compartments yet. Havent had it in a heavy rain though.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

9. Member
    I would contact someone at Vexus because mine is dry in rain or washing it.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    Don’t know about the Vexus but I have opened plenty of 70k Rangers sitting on lots and the compartments have water in them.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

12. Member
    Thanks for the comments. May have to take a closer look . Really like the boat

I’m willing to bet that the dealer had left plugs in and uncovered in the rain and the boats filled up from the bottom
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

14. Member
    I agree with vaw121. That much water would require being filled from the bottom. I've seen it in a couple brands and both times was from the bottom.

15. Member
    Mine has been in the rain, washed at the carwash with pressure, washed at the house with a hose, I haven't notice any issues with water in the boxes.