Removing Handrails

Has anyone ever cut the handrails off of their older model skeeters? I have an 04' and both sides are loose. My question... Is the hand rail and threaded bolt all one piece? In other words if I were to cut the fiberglass
    around each end of the hand rails, would the bolt, nut and handrail stay all intact, so everything would come out as one piece? I worried about if the bolts or nuts or anything else would fall to the bottom of the hull.

Thanks in advance.
    Lance

2. Member
    You shouldn't have to cut them. Granted, mine is a 2002, but I just pulled the compartment box out of the compartment that was parallel to the hand rail, reached my hand in and unscrewed the nut. On the driver side I believe I could just reach in around the throttle/wire loom, and get to it.

To answer your question though, mine is a single piece. The bolt end is made into the bottom of the hand rail, and then a bolt on the bottom secures it.

3. Member
    The threaded bolt is definitely part of the handrail. I have a 2002 ZX200. I had to tighten my rails up. The nuts are 1/2". Port side was easy, just remove storage boxes for access...a little arm twisting and a long socket help. The driver side rear was easy...just remove storage box behind seat. The front drivers side was the worst on mine. I had to drill a 1" access hole on inside below it, in front of shifter box to get a small wrench to it....not easy but it is possible (your 2004 may be easier). I plugged the hole I cut with a light wired to my compartment courtesy lights so it lights up my under dash if I need.