Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone regret going from F150 to F250 or 1500 to 2500

I am just curious if beside the power/breaking being great etc... do you regret getting in and out of parking with the boat, parking decks on vacation, DEF and all the diesel maint. ? I believe I would love it just for the change and fun of a new system. Any personal experience appreciated. Also have a nice 2015 F150 for sale. lol

2. Member
    following....been wondering same thing, looking at getting new truck in near future

Nope. I went from a 1500 to a 2500. Never going back.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    I went from an 11 f150 to a 00 f250 to a 15 ram 2500 (Cummins) to current vehicle 18 tundra. The Ram was great until the check engine light comes on then it sucks. All I ever did with the Ram is tow a 19.5ft glass boat with it. Both wheel bearings, turbo actuator, etc.. The tundra isn’t nearly as nice as the Ram but it tows a bass boat with ease. Nothing fun about the costs of ownership of a diesel.
    Last edited by 1fejj; 03-14-2019 at 07:03 AM.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you are upgrading to a heavy truck for fun, you will be disappointed. You lose maneuverability and when empty it will want to launch off bumps you'd barely notice in a lighter truck. If you need the hauling capacity or towing capacity, it's good. It's not a vehicle to get for vacations or daily driving for most people.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I guess just test driving the new F250 and 2500 I get caught up in power/size and don't notice the differences in just the ride and maneuverability. Thank you

7. Banned
    I have a 19 platinum diesel and just recently bought a 150, I like the big truck but driving as much as I do the 150 hands down.

8. Member
    I drive a 2017 Silverado Duramax. I like the sound of the diesel and obviously the pulling capacity but you have to go into it knowing you have to deal with DEF, changing the fuel filter every 17,000 miles or so and the oil changes cost you more. Sometimes it is difficult to find a empty diesel pump as most stations only have 1 or 2 available. Diesel is about .20-.30 cents more per gallon but my mileage is also better so that kind of evens out.

The torque is amazing and it is my daily driver. I traded in a 2013 Silverado and I would do it again.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I went from a 2000 Chevy 1500 to a 2005 2500 and now I'm running a 2013 3500 all are 4X4 gas trucks. Did not notice much difference between a 1500 and 2500 both came from the factory with the heavy duty towing package. The biggest difference is the 3500 it truly rides like a truck very stiff suspension brakes are massive compared to the other trucks. I haul a lot of weight so I don't think I will ever be in a truck smaller then a 1 ton again.
    John the Garage Doorman

10. Member
    The smile they put on your face is worth it...DEF? Why does everybody talk about DEF so much? Go to a truck stop every 7000 miles or so and pump $15 In the tank....no different than getting fuel. Oil change...yea, it takes 15qts or so. It also lasts longer. Fuel filters. Change every 15-20k miles. About $50 to do it yourself. I guess the worst part is taking 5 minutes to hand-turn a valve every month or so to check for water in the fuel

I won’t ever go back to a 1/2 ton unless I’m forced to.

12. Banned
    I have a F150 and a F350, I hate driving the 1 ton. Pain in the ass to park, bounces like hell on our rough roads, buying DEF is a minor PITA, $130 oil change is ridiculous, expensive fuel filter changes.

But it does feel more solid when towing and yeah it has more power. If you have money to burn then buy yourself one.

13. Banned
    Depends. To pull a bass boat? No way. Not needed and you'd be incurring extra expenses for no real gain. To pull a large bumper pull trailer? Depends on length and weight. I'd say anything over 24' or 6000#, yes, you will certainly be much safer pulling with a 3/4 ton truck. Even though these new 1/2 tons are rated for 10,000#+, unless you've towed a long heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton it's hard to explain that you're on the ragged edge of not being in control. I currently pull a 27' (31' total length) 8300# travel trailer with a Ram 1500 rated for 10,400#. It's not a fun experience even with WDH dialed in via CAT scales.

Will I regret getting a Ram 2500 when the new model's are released? Hell no. I'm also not getting a diesel version. 6.4 gasser will pull anything that the 6.7 diesel will, at least in a 3/4 ton truck.

14. Member
    Wish I'd went with a shorter bed on the 2500 extended cab but that's the only thing I don't like.

15. Member
    I have an 08 Duramax. I only WANT to drive it when I am towing the boat, because that is the only time it isn't bouncing the teeth fillings out of your skull. Its been a flawless truck, over 200k on it now. When I drive my dad's new f150 I am always amazed at how quiet and comfortable it is.

16. Member
    My dad is in the car business and he always told me if you want a diesel and you're not using it to make money then you don't need it.

17. Banned
    Nope, after years of driving that inferior junk I went to a 3500 Cummins dually long bed. Love it. NEVER going back. Learn how to drive it, I can whip it into any parking spot. Can go 2 weeks without having to fill up with fuel. NEVER slips on any ramp. Pull anything your heart desires. Get a good deal on a 40ft 5th wheel camper? No longer do you have to let those deals go to someone else because your wanna be truck can't pull it. Tired of just having 1 race car? Get you a stacker trailer, now you can pull it and haul 2 cars to the track. Don't be like Soy Boys who pay someone to maintain their vehicles so they can keep their silk hands clean, do it yourself. You'll find it's cheaper than paying to maintain a gasser.

18. Member
    Yep. $50 and 15 minutes to change both fuel filters yourself. 15 minutes and $60 for T6 synthetic and quality filter) to change oil yourself.

I pull my bass boat about 20,000 miles a year and have plenty of space up in ND/MN for maneuvering. So no I love my 2500, def is cheap, oil changes are half as often and only cost a bit more in the long run. Yeah it has went to the shop for recalls and an injector but it's all been free so far (100k warranty). Now if you don't hit the highway regularly it will not function correctly and you will have issues. Just buy the truck, trade in value will be the same as you bought it for if you don't like it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

20. Member
    I went from a 250 to 150. I regret it every time I tow something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast