NMEA 2K Question

I had a Yamaha dealer install NMEA 2k from my SHO to my Helix 9 DI. I want to be able to see and track engine hours, oil pressure, oil temp, engine temp, etc. Cant seem to find setting for engine hours and oil pressure, fuel average. I believe I see the setting for oil temp and I have engine temp. Is it possible to display the settings I want?

Thanks

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

2. Member
    IMG_7510.jpg

Here is the display on my Onix. Hours are in the center of the Tach. Engine is an F150 connected to the Onix via NMEA2000. Boat is a Ranger 1860. A bunch of the data is configurable. Depth, Temp, Engine Voltage, Engine Temp (in the upper corners) was all selectable, as was the speed (SOG - from GPS), fuel rate, fuel economy, etc. It's a pretty slick display - I don't even bother with the boat gauges anymore. Sorry for the little blurry image - camera phone, at night, on plane.

3. Member
    I've got hours, temp, oil pressure, rpm, gph, and trim angle on a Helix 10 from a 250. Added the wp sensor so I've got that too but the rest was all with no additional sensors.
    Oil temp isn't an option I don't think.
    Should be able to go into the menu where the NMEA settings are and you'll see "select readouts" hit that and it'll open a drop down menu over which ever engine info screen you choose with all the spots. Hit right or left and set everything on engine 1. Then highlight whichever spot you want to modify and press the check mark button. It'll drop down the available info menu. Just pick what you want

Thanks for info, I figured it out today, dealer no help, he said he called HBird and they stated that it wasnt working cause I didnt have latest software version and he wouldnt troubleshoot until I updated it.I know he was telling truth cause the tech told him I needed version 1.90. So thats BS on HBird tech to say that BS. If thats the case then how were other people using NMEA 2K without latest version. Really pissed at HBird for not even trying to help trouble shoot, also upset dealer didnt know about checkmark feature. I left and figured out myself with researching BBC and read about the checkmark. So hoping all gd, will test on water tomorrow.. Thanks

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

Hate to hijack but looking at doing something similar. What's the cost for the NMEA2K set up and WP Sensor if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

6. Member

7. Member
    NMEA backbone starter kit is $85 https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11...sr=1-1-catcorr
    Adapter cable $100 https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Yama.../dp/B0012R2PHG
    WP Sensor $180 https://www.simyamaha.com/Water_Pres...a4l0-15-00.htm

Edit: Do your own research to ensure your ordering the right parts. I just posted as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Thanks for info, I figured it out today, dealer no help, he said he called HBird and they stated that it wasnt working cause I didnt have latest software version and he wouldnt troubleshoot until I updated it.I know he was telling truth cause the tech told him I needed version 1.90. So thats BS on HBird tech to say that BS. If thats the case then how were other people using NMEA 2K without latest version. Really pissed at HBird for not even trying to help trouble shoot, also upset dealer didnt know about checkmark feature. I left and figured out myself with researching BBC and read about the checkmark. So hoping all gd, will test on water tomorrow.. Thanks
    That's the standard answer when you call an it tech with a computer problem. Update to the latest version of software. The thing is, sometimes they are right
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Edit: Do your own research to ensure your ordering the right parts. I just posted as an example.
    Understand. I appreciate it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    can you clarify the checkmark reference...thanks!
    2016 Alumacraft Competitor 205 and 250 SHO, and a 2000 - 1900 Lund Pro-V, 2002 150 Merc XR6

11. Member
    Humminbird's response to me was if it works, great. If not, Sorry. Not our problem. They also would not specify what data would be available.

I couldnt rely on such terrible support and purchased/installed Yamaha 6yc multi-display.

NMEA is also installed to the Humminbirds but my Helix does not allow split screen with engine information.

In order to see engine information I have to give up sonar and charts.

Again, it's a half assed attempt to add a feature so they can say they have it, but is essentially useless in real world operation.

Buy the 6yc yamaha gauges and get the information you need in a reliable fashion. Use the Humminbird for sonar/charting.

12. Member
    I’m pretty sure you also need the nema 2k hub or whatever they call it. along with those cables