Trim slipping while running down the lake

I noticed that my trim is slipping down as I run the boat. I can manage it but I’m pushing the trim up regularly. Just had service done and I believe that grease from the top of the trim tabs has gotten on the sides and around the gasket. Has any one had this happen? What’s the fix?
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

you need more trim fluid and to bleed it.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Legend Boats Moderator
    Mine did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and said my manual release had backed out. Tightened it up and it was good to go

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAssassin22 View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and said my manual release had backed out. Tightened it up and it was good to go
    Do you know where this is on a Yamaha SHO?
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C

5. Member
    I had the same issue on my SHO. It was the manual trim release (screw). It was about 1/4-1/2 turn loose and was causing my engine to trim down when running. Check that before you start checking elsewhere.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    I had the same issue on my SHO. It was the manual trim release (screw). It was about 1/4-1/2 turn loose and was causing my engine to trim down when running. Check that before you start checking elsewhere.
    On an SHO, Is it the manual release the black plastic screw on the trim pump?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    On an SHO, Is it the manual release the black plastic screw on the trim pump?
    No, the screw is on the port side of the engine body. I don’t remember exactly where as I don’t have a Yamaha anymore. Check your owners manual and you will find it. It’s most likely the issue.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

Should be a hole in the metal frame on the starboard side between the two main mounting bolts that hold your motor to the boat. In that hole is a plastic screw on the trim unit. Use a fairly large flat screwdriver to tighten it. It is PLASTIC so no time to be He-Man, just nice and snug will do.

If it is already tight, then check the trim fluid, if not that, probably a bad seal on one of the pistons. If it's not that it's probably a check valve in the trim unit itself, if that's the case get ready to buy an entire new trim unit, or a used one. The odds of taking a trim unit apart, fixing the proper check valvle and getting it back together and have it work as new are about 25% and an ungodly number of shop hours.

9. Member
    Thanks, guys. I found the screw and was able to tightened it up a little less than a half of a turn. Hopefully, no more slipping. Will report back after this weekend on the lake.
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C

10. Member
    If that does not fix it. I just used http://www.trimandtilt.com/index.html to rebuild my trim. Took it off and shipped to them and they sent it back very quick. It works great. Much cheaper than a new one.

11. Member
    Update***

So I tightened the manual release screw and hit the water this weekend. Problem solved! No more slipping! Thanks, BBC community! (And to my buddy who helped me find the screw)

Man, I learn something new about these boats/motors everyday!
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C