Thread: SC information

SC information

Hello , Retired Vet here and live in southern AL. The wife and I are looking to move a little closer to home and SC is a choice for us. Looking around the Sumter area, lake Murray area ( close to military base). Also close to some good fishing.

I just finished reading a post we’re a man was paying a very high amount in taxes for a bass boat, I think he was from the Santee cooper area. Can you educate us on the taxes ....boat, vehicles etc... also the registration on all. I have a 2017 skeeter fx20le and both vehicles are 2016. From the looks of it Property taxes look reasonable Iam sure it comes to to county/city taxes in what you pay.

Any information will be very helpful and appreciated.

I figured this would be the best place to post this and if not I apologize.

Thank you.

2. Member
    I live in Dorchester County and I imagine it is probably one of the higher counties as far as taxes. 2006 Ram truck about $70 per year, 2014 Hyundai Dante Re is about $125. The boat is a 2006 Procraft 205 and runs about $45 per year the 225 Optimax is about $75. The house is tax accessed at $280k and runs about $1200 per year. My guess is Sumter County would be less.

3. Member
    Look at Columbia area Lexington Cty has lower taxes than Richland Cty
    -Ft Jackson
    -Lake Murray
    -Santee
    -Lake Wateree
    -Clarks Hill

4. Member
    I don't know your situation. However, if either of you are considered disabled, you are exempt from taxes on your cars and house. Just an fyi.

5. Member
    I have a VA disability 60% not sure what that gets you in Sc. I appreciate the info.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ibassin View Post
    Hello , Retired Vet here and live in southern AL. The wife and I are looking to move a little closer to home and SC is a choice for us. Looking around the Sumter area, lake Murray area ( close to military base). Also close to some good fishing.

I just finished reading a post we’re a man was paying a very high amount in taxes for a bass boat, I think he was from the Santee cooper area. Can you educate us on the taxes ....boat, vehicles etc... also the registration on all. I have a 2017 skeeter fx20le and both vehicles are 2016. From the looks of it Property taxes look reasonable Iam sure it comes to to county/city taxes in what you pay.

Any information will be very helpful and appreciated.

I figured this would be the best place to post this and if not I apologize.

Thank you.
    Taxes on a buddies 17 Triton 20trx is about $1700. I havent gotten a bill for my 18 Phoenix but my county estimator shows it around $1800. Boat and motor are taxed separate.

My 08 f150 is about 250 a year and my wifes 10 Escape used to be around $250 as well. Havent gotten a bill for her 16 Exploerer yet. we got it last summer.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    Taxes on a buddies 17 Triton 20trx is about $1700. I havent gotten a bill for my 18 Phoenix but my county estimator shows it around $1800. Boat and motor are taxed separate.

My 08 f150 is about 250 a year and my wifes 10 Escape used to be around $250 as well. Havent gotten a bill for her 16 Exploerer yet. we got it last summer.
    Luxury tax I take it. I read a post in line with what you said, that is a chunk of money! So what is the trade off low property tax???I also read here recently were Sc is in the top 10 when it comes to taxes in general being low. I guess they get you one way or the other...that’s any state.

8. Member
    I would expect about $1700 for the boat and $500 each car. Also, SC has some of the highest boat insurance premiums as well. People here suck at boating. Stay towards Columbia, Shaw/Sumter area sucks.

9. Member
    Just make sure they separate the Motor from the boat since skeeters are sold package deal

If you're looking for a small town area, I'd recommend Prosperity. Less than 20 mins to Dreher island, about 30 mins to lake Greenwood, about an hour to Monticello and a little over an hour to Wateree. It's also only 30 mins down the interstate to the Harbison area. I just paid taxes on my '14 Triton 19xs and motor to Newberry, it was around $1400. A few hundred dollars less than Richland County where i lived until a little over a year ago. House taxes are a little higher than Richland. But the trade off of that small town living was worth it for me. My wife's 2017 Buick envision was $500.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetUSAF14 View Post
    If you're looking for a small town area, I'd recommend Prosperity. Less than 20 mins to Dreher island, about 30 mins to lake Greenwood, about an hour to Monticello and a little over an hour to Wateree. It's also only 30 mins down the interstate to the Harbison area. I just paid taxes on my '14 Triton 19xs and motor to Newberry, it was around $1400. A few hundred dollars less than Richland County where i lived until a little over a year ago. House taxes are a little higher than Richland. But the trade off of that small town living was worth it for me. My wife's 2017 Buick envision was $500.
    sent you a pm

12. Member
    Just curious about your boat taxes...............are you getting one notice for boat and one for motor?

The reason I mention that is both Darlington and Clarendon County are sending one tax notice for the motor and one for the boat. The problem is with the one for the boat they are using the package value/price for boat and motor. You have to go in personally with documentation and explain it to them and then they change it.

Your boat tax notice should not be over $800.00. I live in Florence County and see this a lot.................so I would check on it if I was getting a $1400=$1700 notice.

13. Member
    Taxes on my 2015 Skeeter ZX225 in Spartanburg County were $973.00 last year and $447.00 on 2015 Yamaha 225 SHO . Don't go down much as it gets older either .

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstate Gamecock View Post
    Taxes on my 2015 Skeeter ZX225 in Spartanburg County were $973.00 last year and $447.00 on 2015 Yamaha 225 SHO . Don't go down much as it gets older either .
    This is exactly what I was referring to. If you check, you'll find out the $973 for the boat is actually a charge for the boat and motor package. They are overcharging you $447.00.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWQK View Post
    This is exactly what I was referring to. If you check, you'll find out the $973 for the boat is actually a charge for the boat and motor package. They are overcharging you $447.00.
    I did check . What I paid was AFTER I went to the Auditor's Office and showed them that they had it appraised at about $20k higher than what I paid for it . Spartanburg County has extremely high taxes .

Orangeburg county is one of the highest in the state along with Claredon County. Berkeley County is the cheapest in the state but house costs are insane right now. You can call the county tax office and tell them what you have and they will tell you the personal proerty tax on them.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

17. Member
    Clarendon County is high with taxes. Sumter, Florence,better options. Not a fan of Columbia (aka Gangland).
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite