Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Break in what’s next?

Serial no. 2B599180......just out of curiosity what’s the next step after the break in period is over on a new Pro XS 4S? I was told to bring it back for service but they didn’t really explain what “service” included.....is it just an oil change?

2. Member
    My dealer said the same thing...bring it in for an oil change and diagnostic test to make sure everything is running right. I asked how much that would cost me and the guy said about $350. I passed...
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

3. Member
    If it’s just an oil change I can do that myself.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you looked at the Recommended Maintenance schedule in the Engine Owner's Manual?

Required Service is at ONE YEAR or 100 Hours. For most that equates to every 364.99 days.

It's a good idea to have an oil change and gear lube change near the 20 hour mark. This is not a REQUIRED service, but it is recommended. Consider it an investment in the health and longevity of your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

^^^Great advise Don On a side note, a 20 hour service that is $350 is way too much

6. Member
    Maybe you should ask your dealer to itemize that “20 hour service”

Seems like maybe oil and filter
    Gear lube
    And a thorough inspection ought to amount to about 1hr Labor Max, plus parts?

350 seems like 2 hrs labor and parts.

Don, what do you charge for said service?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With proper inspections, CDS Printouts, oil/filter and Gear Lube changed you should expect about 1.9 hours of labor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    With proper inspections, CDS Printouts, oil/filter and Gear Lube changed you should expect about 1.9 hours of labor.
    Seems liie $350 right in the ballpark then.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. Member
    I feel lucky then, my dealer did the 20hr service on mine for $175, said I could handle the 100 if I wanted to.

10. Member
    My dealership told me they recommend the 20 hour service, just to make sure there is no metal shavings or anything else in the motor after the break in period. It was $364 to service mine

11. Member
    Wow that seems to be a lot of money for just a 20 hour check.

12. Member
    I would just change the oil and and lower unit lub myself at 20 Hrs. It's not that hard.

13. mikesxpress
    As noted, the actual service interval is 100 hours as listed in your manual and on the engine decal. No mention of a 20 hour on the end user side.

14. Member
    Mercury has videos posted on YouTube for both the engine oil and foot oil.

15. Member
    If you can afford the new motor whats another $350, for peace of mind.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    If you can afford the new motor whats another $350, for peace of mind.
    Just bc I can afford it, doesn’t mean I want to....why give someone else my $350 for something simple and I can do myself.

17. Member
    If it was just changing the oil and the lower unit lube it wouldn't be bad to do yourself but they also hook it up on a computer and run it for awhile to make sure nothing is wrong with the motor like Don said its just a recommendation. I did it because the dealer recommended it. Everyone has their own way of doing things

18. Member
    My dealer told me t bring it in for an oil change service between 20 - 25 hours. This will give them the opportunity to change the oil an remove any metal shavings that may have occurred during the break in process.

19. mikesxpress
    Of course he did.

20. Banned
    No beeps, horns or codes tells me all is ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast