Thread: Shimano 50MG

Shimano 50MG

I have a Shimano 50MG I use for weightless Senko fishing with braid. That's pretty much all it does and I fish that technique a whole lot.

It is working great but not as smooth on the retrieve as it used to be and I think it is beyond my personal capability to service.

If it cast the Senko a little farther or with less effort, that would be a good thing. What would you recommend to have done while a professional has it, and wherewhere you send it??? I was toying with replacing it, but I like it so much and it has some sentimentality for me too. I think I will keep it and just have it back better than new if possible.

Any suggestions.....also feel free to PM me if you want to.... My reel tech sold his business and retired, and I'm not sure what to do. I am using it a lot right now but will get it either replaced or redone in a week or so....

I am sort of looking for someone owning one that has done upgrades to one and the results or if it was a good thing....
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Member
    Shoot Dan at Reel-Ex.com, he is a Shimano expert. Ask him your questions.

3. Member
    Dan knows his stuff and I will say that TackleTrap will take care of you as well.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Banned
    Change the spool bearings out for some performance ones. Maybe change all the frame bearings to make them smooth and new. A good cleaning and relube with quality products should make that thing feel good. You might have a little gearyness going on from age, but that's pretty normal.

It sounds like a gear issue and they are no longer available, they're like looking for the magic unicorn, especially the pinion. Sorry I cannot help. I wouldn't take your money and tell you I could. Bearings will make little to NO difference in this case. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    It sounds like a gear issue and they are no longer available, they're like looking for the magic unicorn, especially the pinion. Sorry I cannot help. I wouldn't take your money and tell you I could. Bearings will make little to NO difference in this case. Dan
    If he is looking for better casting or smoother casting it would...but definitely not on the smoothness of the retrieve. May have to upgrade to a new reel.

I am referring to paragraph two. New, more, or upgraded bearings seem to be the solution to most issues raised around here these days, truth be known they are NOT. Some perhaps, but in most cases a good tech can rehabilitate existing ones, except anti reverse bearings. It can be a lengthy process but NEW are not always needed, and quality of replacements is always an issue as well. Dan

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    If he is looking for better casting or smoother casting it would...but definitely not on the smoothness of the retrieve. May have to upgrade to a new reel.
    Correct, if hes got a bit of gear wear, there is no resolving due to none being available. But, you can help with smoother turning frame bearings, and some good grease on the gears. Id live with a bit of geary for what that reel is capable of all around.

Not. Bearings will not help will Geary issues, I don't care what bearings you choose to change. Dan

10. Banned
    Not. Bearings will not help will Geary issues, I don't care what bearings you choose to change. Dan
    Not with the gears, because I said there is no resolution. (Reading comprehension). But you can put better bearings in the frame, and a quality lube job to help with overall smoothness. In other words, it can be worked with to keep that reel going.

Well, thats the difference between you and I, if I cannot do it right I won't do it and take a customers money. It won't get any better. Dan

12. Member
    You’ve received good and bad advice in thread. Think of LgMouthGambler as the amateur who takes a reel apart and when he realizes he doesn’t know how to put it back together, he puts it into a plastic bag and sends it to the guy who actually makes a living at fixing reels, like Dan, to put it back together properly. One is an amateur hobbyist, the other a professional. One will sell you new low quality probably sweat shop made bearings and lube jobs for financial gain, when it won’t make the gears smooth, the other goes against his own financial interest and tells you the truth, your reel is obsolete and you might want to consider replacing it.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    You’ve received good and bad advice in thread. Think of LgMouthGambler as the amateur who takes a reel apart and when he realizes he doesn’t know how to put it back together, he puts it into a plastic bag and sends it to the guy who actually makes a living at fixing reels, like Dan, to put it back together properly. One is an amateur hobbyist, the other a professional. One will sell you new low quality probably sweat shop made bearings and lube jobs for financial gain, when it won’t make the gears smooth, the other goes against his own financial interest and tells you the truth, your reel is obsolete and you might want to consider replacing it.
    Wow. Considering you dont know me very well, Ill let this slide. Im the one who receives reels in plastic bags (and by they way I charge extra if this happens, lol). Hobbyist I am, making a living off it, im not. You want to claim a reel is outdated due to parts availability is an amateur statement. That 50MG is still better than any crap Shimano is producing today. Leave you inexperience at the breakfast table.

I'm not claiming it's out of date, just not repairable without replacing the proper parts. You do what you want, I could care less what you do, but saying it is repairable is bs and I'm gonna call it everytime!

15. Banned
    I'm not claiming it's out of date, just not repairable without replacing the proper parts. You do what you want, I could care less what you do, but saying it is repairable is bs and I'm gonna call it everytime!
    Never said its "repairable". Said it can be "worked with". Reading comprehension....

16. Banned
    This was one of the most enjoyable things I have read all day.

Yeah, pretty funny...."worked with", that's one of the funniest things I've read too...means waisted $$$$.

18. Banned
    Yeah, pretty funny...."worked with", that's one of the funniest things I've read too...means waisted $$$$.
    Its not wasted if someone wants to keep the reel going, and truely love the reel. Thats why people have options. Let them make the decision. No ones forcing a gun to their head. Man, you need some serious help.

Yeah. I'm pretty serious when it comes to my profession.