My Vexus Dilemma

I have been in glass boats for a long time, having owned Allison, BassCat, Gambler, Stroker, etc. At one point I opted for a 17' tin boat with a 90 E-tec and moved completely away from glass, and after I upgraded everything in that boat it became what I called "just enough". What does that mean? I does 45mph GPS...so it is just fast enough...not too slow. It hops on plane instantly. Don't have to worry about expensive fiberglass to repair...so it was just enough to stop me from getting back into a glass boat :-)

Well now the other half wants to spend more time with me (not sure why now?)...and I know I need a dual console to keep her out of the wind and weather. Vexus is the boat on my radar, a 1980 dual console. I am sure after getting up a few times at 3am will take care of her wanting to spend more time with me but for the interim I have to play along. The thing is I am having a little bit of a problem of popping mid $40K for a tin boat that would be set up like the 17'er I have. I have 2 HB SI's on the 17'er, built in charger, blah, blah, blah because for about 4K more I can get a comparable glass boat.

You would think it would be a no brainer...go glass then...but then I am back to have to worrying about glass dings, chips, deep scratches, etc. as I am one of those guys that if there is something damaged I want it to be taken care of. Dealer by me has some Vexus boats on the floor but none to take out, and to be honest the water closest is near flood stage right now. Gotta do something soon as spring will be here, and if momma is happy then everyone is happy.

2. Banned
    Thanks

3. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Take your electronics off your boat and move them to your new boat and save your self some buck :-)
    the 1980 jumps up on plane, runs mid to upper fifties and comes with 6X3 charger.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    I have been in glass boats for a long time, having owned Allison, BassCat, Gambler, Stroker, etc. At one point I opted for a 17' tin boat with a 90 E-tec and moved completely away from glass, and after I upgraded everything in that boat it became what I called "just enough". What does that mean? I does 45mph GPS...so it is just fast enough...not too slow. It hops on plane instantly. Don't have to worry about expensive fiberglass to repair...so it was just enough to stop me from getting back into a glass boat :-)

Well now the other half wants to spend more time with me (not sure why now?)...and I know I need a dual console to keep her out of the wind and weather. Vexus is the boat on my radar, a 1980 dual console. I am sure after getting up a few times at 3am will take care of her wanting to spend more time with me but for the interim I have to play along. The thing is I am having a little bit of a problem of popping mid $40K for a tin boat that would be set up like the 17'er I have. I have 2 HB SI's on the 17'er, built in charger, blah, blah, blah because for about 4K more I can get a comparable glass boat.

You would think it would be a no brainer...go glass then...but then I am back to have to worrying about glass dings, chips, deep scratches, etc. as I am one of those guys that if there is something damaged I want it to be taken care of. Dealer by me has some Vexus boats on the floor but none to take out, and to be honest the water closest is near flood stage right now. Gotta do something soon as spring will be here, and if momma is happy then everyone is happy.
    If you're ever down by Belleville, IL or Springfield, IL shoot me a message on here. I would be happy to take you for a ride in my 2080.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I can tell you that when I bought a nicer tin boat (RT188) with the middle seat and dual consoles that my wife suddenly spends a lot more time on the water with me and I'm all for it. She doesn't do the 3 AM thing but since I live on a lake and we have a summer cabin there are plenty of opportunities for her to join me and she's become quite proficient with the net.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I can tell you that when I bought a nicer tin boat (RT188) with the middle seat and dual consoles that my wife suddenly spends a lot more time on the water with me and I'm all for it. She doesn't do the 3 AM thing but since I live on a lake and we have a summer cabin there are plenty of opportunities for her to join me and she's become quite proficient with the net.
    well that settles that! I’m never getting a tin boat!
    Pool 10

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    You don't think that anything that would damage a glass hull isn't going to damage that beautiful Vexus hull? A bare metal beater boat might be care free, but not todays nicer aluminum boats. And in many ways, a glass boat is easier to repair. My last boat was a Ranger aluminum. I fussed over it just as much as any glass boat I have owned.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    You don't think that anything that would damage a glass hull isn't going to damage that beautiful Vexus hull? A bare metal beater boat might be care free, but not todays nicer aluminum boats. And in many ways, a glass boat is easier to repair. My last boat was a Ranger aluminum. I fussed over it just as much as any glass boat I have owned.
    Vexus has a 2 stage paint so if its scratched you can take it to your local body shop and have them fix it. Doesnt get much easier than that...
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS