Thread: Decision?

Decision?

I have a 2016 Skeeter ZX225. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a ZX200. Has anyone else done this and regretted their decision? I came out of a Stratos 294 before the zx225. I'm just trying to save a little more money each month. Furthermore, I live in South Carolina and we have to pay property taxes every year. On the zx225 they are around 1,400 a year. So I want to save a little more $ on that end too.

2. Member
    I went from a 2014 zx200 to a 2017zx225. I fish mainly big water and I am not sure the extra money was worth it. That was a different model year though, and the 2014 had lots of features the 2017 did not. Last time I looked at the 200 I feel they skimped a bit on some of the other things like smaller fuel tank. The extra hull length and 4-5mph on the 225 is nice though.
    Basically, the 200 is a fine boat, and you could easily fish and compete out of while saving money. Will it be as fast or as good in the waves? probably not.
    I would take a look at the spec sheet and make sure it has all of the options you were hoping for.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. If I sell my boat, the 2019 zx200 is 8,000 cheaper than the zx225. I'm just wondering is 5 inches for 8,000 dollars worth it. Is the difference in a 19'6" vs a 19'11" that much difference besides a little more speed and storage.

4. Member
    I fished a 05 zx200 on the tour out here on the west coast from havasu, clear lake, mead and so on. it took on the biggest water and then some. yeah its maybe 3 MPH less than the zx225 but drafts bitchen in shallow water and handles like a Indy car. that was a great year though and the storage was the same as the ZX225. it was 19'4" with dual axle and trailered well and stored easy in the garage.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

Unless you are going to buy a new boat either way I dont see how you would save a bunch getting out of your 225 and into a new 200. Taxes, depreciation and insurance on the new 200 would probably be higher than what you currently pay short term.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Unless you are going to buy a new boat either way I dont see how you would save a bunch getting out of your 225 and into a new 200. Taxes, depreciation and insurance on the new 200 would probably be higher than what you currently pay short term.
    My thought as well
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I don't see the cost saving in what you are wanting to do. If its that bad you might want to refinance it longer, then again your going to have to pay closing cost again. Good luck with which ever decision.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texjim0186 View Post
    I don't see the cost saving in what you are wanting to do. If its that bad you might want to refinance it longer, then again your going to have to pay closing cost again. Good luck with which ever decision.
    I'm asking should I save 8k on a zx200, or buy a zx225 when I sell. Is the zx225 worth 8k extra. I'm just seeing if anybody downgraded like this and noticed much difference.

9. Member
    Look at the standard options and see if they concern you. If you are ok with the reduced speed, the hull can handle big water with the best of them.
    There are some "key" features that might really dig into your savings. Some that jump out to me are:
    24v trolling motor (36v on 225).
    no powerpole option(standard on 225)
    Helix 7 console and bow (9 and 12 on 225 and up)
    36 gallon fuel tank (44 gallon on 225 and up, this would be a huge deal breaker for me)
    28 gallon livewell (36 gallon on 225 and up)

10. Member
    wow they changed a ton on the zx200 since I had mine. my 05 came with the exact same options that the zx225 had. I got a 36v TM, 50 gallon fuel tank, same size livewells and same electronics and power poles were not invented yet lol.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

11. Member
    TAXES SUCK...I have the same issue here in Hall County Georgia...I paid taxes already when I bought my new bug...this is a double tax and should be illegal...every year the "bstrds" reassess what my boat is worth then tax me on it and every year I protest the assessed value and they tell me in a sense "tuff luck". I couldn't never sell my 2016 zx225 for what it is assessed at and that's just NOT what should be considered "fair market value". You won't ever be able to save that much for such a significant move on the taxes...The old saying goes...."you want to play, you have to pay"...best of luck