Lent I "Beginnings"

The Lectionary picks the Genesis 3:1-23 account as the Old Testament lesson. Genesis (Beginnings) charts the start of the earth, of man, and sadly--the start of sin. Genesis also has the start of the Gospel (first recorded). Lent focuses on our sin, how we need to turn* from it, and its remedy--Christ.

*'turn' = repentance = contrition + faith

Genesis 3:1-15 (excerpts)

The Fall

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

15 And I will put enmity
    between you and the woman,
    and between your offspring[a] and hers;
    he will crush[b] your head,
    and you will strike his heel.

v. 4 A half truth. What a surprise from the father of lies. Yes, man would know good and evil BUT the devil forgets to mention the cosequences: death and loss of fellowship with God.

v. 8 Sin causes spiritual insanity. Hide from God? The question "Where are you?" was for Adam's benefit.--as if God didn't know where Adam was. Where was Adam--in his relationship with God? The day before Adam walked in perfect fellowship with God. Now, not so much. Do not take this lightly, man fell into a spiritual Grand Canyon. He is spiritually dead (Eph 2). The most devout christian has a sin nature. Look at Paul. "Oh what a wretched man I am." (Rom 7:24)

v. 15 God would repair the broken fellowship between Himself and man. The first recorded Gospel. God would send Christ to defeat satan--at a great cost. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" The author of life (Genesis account) suffers spiritual death (hell--our hell).

Where there is forgiveness of sins there is eternal life.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 03-13-2019 at 09:35 AM.

2. Member
    Look at your hand. What keeps its molecules in the proper place? Its electrons in their proper orbit? God does. God would have been well within His rights to simply cancel the whole gig--earth--when Adam sinned. Cease the molecules and electrons.--but God didn't. He set about fixing a broken world and His prime creation--man. Restoration.

Psalm 139:14

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    In eternity, God knew Adam (man) would fall. God knew the consequences of that fall: locks on doors, world wars, tornadoes, and the list goes on. So why did God create us in the first place? Answer: God wanted to share His glory. God is love and it is impossible for Him to not share it. He must share--it is who He is. "I am who I am." Ex 3:14 (Moses and the Burning Bush) (Who is He? The God of the living:--Abraham, Isaac, Jacob,... and us.)

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    In eternity, God knew Adam (man) would fall. God knew the consequences of that fall: locks on doors, world wars, tornadoes, and the list goes on. So why did God create us in the first place? Answer: God wanted to share His glory. God is love and it is impossible for Him to not share it. He must share--it is who He is. "I am who I am." Ex 3:14 (Moses and the Burning Bush) (Who is He? The God of the living:--Abraham, Isaac, Jacob,... and us.)